Unnecessary Player Labels in Condensing

Hi all,

apologies if that has been asked before, I couldn’t find anything on my forum search.

I have the problem that I end up with a lot of unneccessary player labels in condensed staves as can be seen in the attached file in bar 3. I know I can hide them manually but maybe there is an option that allows me to hide all of such occurances in general that I just haven’t found yet.

Happy to provide a file if needed but I have the feeling it might just be one setting that I’m missing.
Dorico 3.5 by the way

Thanks in advance!
Robin

Hi Robin !
Yes, this has already been asked for. The politics here is that this is a quite complicated field, and the devs prefer that we hide the too many labels rather than having missing labels. The scores are unambiguous, at least.

1 Like

Thank you Marc! I had a hunch that this topic might have come up before here. Thanks for the clarification.

Robin

On the face of it I agree that label is redundant, and I’d be interested to get a look at the project to find out why Dorico thinks a label should appear there. Could you chop down your project to a small example for, say, just the horns in that passage that still reproduces the problem and attach it here?

Hi Daniel,
thanks for joining in.

Here you go.
condensing.dorico.zip (668 KB)

Thanks, we’ll look into this.

I know this is an old topic but I have encountered a related problem which seems to occur with condensing unlike instruments in Dorico 5.0.2.

When like instruments are condensed and the second instrument enters, the entry is correctly labelled:

However, if the instruments are unlike, no label appears when the second instrument enters:

Manually adding a player label in Write mode causes two labels two appear in the condensed score:

The only solution seems to be to hide the second label.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
David

No, you’re not doing anything wrong; this case is not yet completely handled.

Thanks for the clarification, Daniel.

Daniel, while your guys are at it, please have them examine the placement of instrument labels in this context. They tend to be way too far from the notes they affect (and in so doing, they tend to affect staff spacing negatively.)

You can adjust these distances in Engraving Options.

Dorico automatically places those labels above dynamics and other indications.