Unusable Hangs

Just got Dorico 3, program hangs so much that it’s unusable. Experiencing minutes-long beachball when:

-selecting a note with the mouse
-copying and pasting
-moving a note
-entering a note
-adding a flow
-adding a player
-renaming a flow

It rarely crashes, just hangs. I’m really baffled as to why I can simultaneously run a 200 track Logic project with video, Safari, Mail, Activity Monitor, etc with no issues but Dorico grinds to a halt on a basically empty project. I’ve notice in Activity Monitor that VST Audio Engine is taking up a lot of RAM and CPU time. Maybe that’s the culprit?

Project: Dropbox - Misfortunes sept 20share.dorico - Simplify your life

Computer:

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
Mojave 10.14.6
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB

Feel free to point me in the direction of another thread.
Sample of Dorico.zip (24.2 KB)

A 5mb file indicates a huge amount of Play data. Sure enough you have three HALion instances with 48 instruments loaded. Why?
I find that if I go Play > Playback Template… and set to Silence, and Apply, then set it back to HSSO (Pro) and Apply, the project instantly becomes manageable. Try it.

For what it’s worth, the file (as you sent it) is unmanageable on my Macbook (see my footer - it’s essentially the same model as yours but three years younger). Said project is absolutely fine on my Windows machine (again, see my footer). Dorico really struggles with fewer than four cores…

The short answer is I don’t know my way around play mode because I generally work silently. The long answer could be that I started the project from the “pit band” template then deleted players. So maybe the HALion instances stick around? Clearly I need to RTFM.

It’s a 4 core i7…so add another 4 virtual cores. I’m not sure if that comment of yours applies to my computer or was just a general thought.

Ah, I made an assumption that was dual-core. Sorry about that!
Regardless, the file you posted on Dropbox works fine as it is on my quad-core machine, which may indicate that you’re short on RAM (for a project with 48 instruments).

I should add: thanks a lot pianoleo, that seems to have done the trick. Very grateful!

Yes, they do. When you have deleted all the unwanted instruments, go to Play mode, click Playback Template, and then Apply and Close.

That should clean up all the playback debris and give you the minimum number of instances of HALion to play the score.

(That does the same as what Pianoleo said, but you don’t need to switch to the Silence template and then back to HSO).