Unworkably laggy

Wish there was a solution for this. I’m really suffering

Can you please provide the project, Michael, and let us know where in particular the note input is especially slow?

It’s not a particular project and it’s not in a particular place. It’s all of my large scores mostly upon note input.

The project is attached here: Unworkably laggy - #15 by Michael_Seltenreich

There’s a report attached here: Unworkably laggy - #34 by Michael_Seltenreich

Paul was able to confirm that he was seeing the issue here: Unworkably laggy - #38 by PaulWalmsley

Here’s another project where I have the issue
I never Said anew bu.dorico (1.2 MB)

Thanks: I opened e.g. I never Said anew bu.dorico and tried inputting notes into the project in every instrument at the start, middle and at the end of the project, and it was pretty speedy in every place I tried. I really can’t explain why it might be so slow on your computer. You said in your initial post that you have 2 CPUs with 16 cores each in your machine. What specific CPU do you have? Is it an AMD Threadripper of some kind?

my PC has a fraction of the specs of yours but I still find note input fast – more so in that many of my own projects. That’s in both the original project (where the playback should be the same as I have both NP and Pianoteq 6) and the one Daniel tried. Does the operation slow down over time or is it bad immediately from opening the project? Obviously there is something going on as Paul has confirmed it but I can’t reproduce with what’s virtually an entry-level system for music.

I have no problem working with either of the files you posted and both seem pretty fast to me. How much room to you have on the hard drive containing your OS? Is it possible Windows doesn’t have enough room to write to the swap file fast enough? What are your Windows settings here?

I just wonder if by any chance this is relevant at all – probably a long shot. I notice that Pianoteq 6 as used in the project is !!'d on my system. There’s no problem if I just reapply it from my own plug-in. Perhaps you can say what your issues with Pianoteq are, we can eliminate this one.

@dspreadbury, I have an Intel CPU. Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 to be exact.

@dko22 Yes, the operation does seem to slow down over time. At first projects are quite quick, but they get quite laggy. A restart of Dorico or the computer seem to temporarily work.

@FredGUnn I have 250Gigs free on my OS drive. I had resources allocated for Background services, I changed it to Programs. I wonder if this will help.

@dko22 That’s an interesting angle! I do recall however, with the first project I had lags even when used the no playback (silence) setting.

Thank you all for your willingness to help!

That CPU first came out over 9 years ago in Q1 2012. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be able to handle these projects, but it definitely isn’t going to be able to compete with the power of more recent chips, just in case you need an excuse to upgrade :grinning:

1 Like

It might. Also, what were your Virtual memory settings on that same screen? If you have the paging file size set to minimum that could definitely be slowing you down too. Increasing that could possibly help.

I’m curious about this line from the log:

Restoring engine state from file: C:/Users/Michael/AppData/Local/Temp/Dorico 3.5/ocfsessions/session-683d5/3-c8d39/supplementary_data/vstaudioengine/enginedata

It might be completely normal behavior, but a common suggestion is deleting everything in the temp directory so that programs that use it can write refreshed settings/state into it.

I’m also wondering if the graphics card might have some role since video is on the entire time. Maybe update drivers, etc?

I starting to notice a pattern than whenever I hit save (and assuming this happens during auto-saves as well), the program lags for about 10-15 seconds. What actions can I take to mitigate this specific angle?

You could download a free version of VEPro and put your vst libraries there (and decouple it). If you have many instruments and/or use heavy libraries it takes a lot of time to save all of the playback information when they are loaded in Dorico.

Dorico will certainly pause while it saves, auto- or manual. The length of time tends to reflect the amount of playback data. It might be worth (if you haven’t already) switching to Silent Playback Template, saving, before then re-applying whatever template you’re using.

If you’re using a huge VSL template, it would definitely be beneficial to run it in Vienna Ensemble Pro in “decoupled” mode. In that mode, VE Pro won’t need to write its state into the Dorico project, making the project much smaller and hence making saving and loading the project much quicker. The disadvantage of that approach is that you then have to make sure you save and restore your VE Pro configuration independently, but most users find this more practical in any case.