Up/down arrows (now also cursor keys as of 13.0.20) for navigating through preset lists don't work

Ok, please @Fabio_B check this, this is new in 13.0.20: navigating presets with cursor up/down keys is broken now. It kind of retriggers the whole preset list each time a cursor key is pressed, so it jumps to the first preset. You can try with any of the Full Bucket free VST3s. It also affects the preset selector in the Inspector, as you can see at the end of the attached video (which is basically me clicking on the cursor down key like crazy…)

oxid

4 Likes

Preset lists for external MIDI instruments are also unnavigable now.

3 Likes

Hi,

Have you tried with other instrument (HALion Sonic SE), please? I cannot reproduce it here.

Hi @Martin.Jirsak. Thanks a lot for trying. Hopefully you’d be able to reproduce it with any instrument that use the old-style preset selector in the Inspector. That’s not the case for HALion Sonic, Padshop or Retrologue but, for example, you can use latest Kontakt, or even a MIDI patch list from a hardware instrument you had defined. However, please notice that it seems to be a Windows-only issue.

This shows the issue with the latest Kontakt 7. Again, this is me simply pressing the cursor down key repeatedly, while Cubase forces a return to the top of the preset list after each press:

kontakt

1 Like

I checked Oxid and works OK here, but Linplug’s Spectral does have the same problem on my system. When it happens with cursor keys, the arrow keys on the side of the preset field behave the same as using the cursor keys (it always jumps back to the first preset).
No clue why the same synth would behave differently on two systems, but it is reproducible.

2 Likes

Thanks Fabio, I’m relieved to read that! This issue is not especially problematic with VSTs, as there are alternatives to browse the preset lists, but it is frustrating with hardware synthesizers where you have a list of hundreds of patches organized into subfolders (i.e. my Matrix-1000).

1 Like

Will report it, Jorge. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi, I see this too,

@Jorge_Ruiz, a workaround for now might be to assign two shortcuts to the Preset->Previous/Next commands, which work as expected in the inspector view.

@Fabio_B, not sure if it would help, but the issue seems to be with the handling of the onKeyUp (or release) because if we hold up or down, the list is scrolled properly. It’s only when we release the key that a lostFocus seems to happen sometimes, while other times a Home.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, in fact I already had two keys on my CC121 assigned to previous/next preset. However, for hardware instruments I prefer to browse through the preset lists, where I have the patches grouped in specific subfolders, as it is easier to find what I am looking for.

1 Like

Same here with my Preset-lists for my external Instruments. It’s completely unusable now…

2 Likes

Agreed. As I pointed out above, I think this bug is specially critical for people that use hardware instruments and rely on preset lists of hundreds of patches organized in subfolders. They are basically unusable until this is fixed.

3 Likes

Yes. It’s the exact same situation here and I just discovered it, when I wanted to listen back to a few sounds of my Pro-800. The Presets are organized in subfolders (Band A, B, C etc.) and I wrote the scripts by myself. The same thing happens with other external instruments. I found your post while I was looking for informations regarding a rollback to version 13.0.10. But this seems to be a problem too…
Ah, I use Cubase on an Intel-Macbook with OS Monterey using Rosetta.

1 Like

Nice you mentioned your platform, because it confirms that the issue affects both Windows and Mac. I use Windows 11.

1 Like