Update 8.0.2

As I am in the exact same situation as you - WL8 is nothing but a test bed for anything until I am absolutely certain it can handle actual production. At this point we have no idea if 8.02 will be good, bad or ugly.

You have to be a big fan of “Steinberg” to accept such delays. It’s not a question of technical adjustments, especially if you work on Microsoft Level, but it’s a question of time planning. The first statement from Steinberg was release will be approx. mid June.

I guess closer to mid-june than the end of the month.

Now we talk of end June. And that’s it !!!

If I plan my business in this way, you can be sure, I don’t had any buisiness.

First rule of “business” - never rely on some untested and new version of anything - for production work.

You can be sure, I am working for a long time in this business, and this is the 4 Version that I use from Wave Lab, and I had never before these “timimg” problems.

Timing problems? Timing for what? Is your “business” suddenly going to stop running because 8.02 isn’t released to “your” schedule. Wow - you must be a fun guy to work with. Your poor customers…

And as far as “accepting” delays - do you really think that whining like a 4 year old that Steinberg is somehow responsible for your inability to plan properly - is going to get you the update any faster?

VP

First of all, I expect at this point a comment from Steinberg, and not, from my point of view, some unqualified comments from a forum member. You can’t assess how I plan my workflows, and so it’s absolute nonsens to discuss in this way.
Therefore I would like to stop this unnecessary discussion at this point. Hopefully Steinberg will provide this update shortly.

The only thing that is nonsense (in this entire thread) - is your insistence that this update is not available to your schedule.

Steinberg doesn’t need answer to you or anyone else. It’s their software - they will issue this update when they are good and ready to do that.

VP

Bruce has a solid point: If your business is already up and running, the update is besides the point until it’s been fully tested. We understand you’d like to staff and plan for that testing to happen. But you seem to assume that 8.0.2 will work properly out of the box, and feel that any delay will impact your daily work somehow, even though you indicate you’re up and running.

Whether 8.0.2 comes out today or next month, your work will still be completed on WL7 until it’s fully vetted, right? And there’s a decent chance it will bust out of the box or have some show-stopping issue with your rig, which will take some time to work out. This is the time you’re anxious to get beyond of course… given the realities, you would be better served by Steinberg taking their time, getting things right upon release by fully testing the update, and minimize frustrating back and forth as they squish bugs they should have caught. If it runs smoothly when it arrives, you’re better off than if you have to report bugs/issues and await 8.0.2.1 or 8.0.3. Either way, WL7 still works well, and takes care of your customers day to day.

In the meantime, I recommend waiting to schedule testing staff to “proof” 8.0.2 until you have copy in your hands. There’s no point in rushing testing, ever. You get no benefits, but assume higher risks by rushing. If your part time staff has other gigs they need to schedule around, schedule this proofing work to happen on 7/1 and you probably won’t be disappointed. If it arrives early, you can get a jump on it in your own spare time.

I’ll be blunt: I strongly prefer Wavelab’s careful, well-tested, methodical roll-outs of updates to the “build of the week” approach some of their competitors rely on (one unnamed DAW I use requires me to keep a few differently-flawed versions around as they break different parts with each fix). In most cases, rushing software out the door to meet arbitrary deadlines by anxious users end in tears for all.

+1

Can’t see any need to get uptight about an 8.02 release…historically - this release is just getting started.

To be completely honest - 8.1 is where I will start looking using WL8 with any serious potential. 7.21 is beyond mature right now and can handle anything I will ever need to do.

The usability of Wavelab 8.0.1 is going to vary from user to user depending on their needs. Some users may find 8.0.1 fully functional for their needs, while others (like myself), may find 8.0.1 to have a lot of bugs (none that can’t be worked around temporarily).

I find the feature updates in 8.0.1 from WL7 to be so great, that it’s worth using 8.0.1 and dealing with the issues for a week or two.

However, some of the known issues in 8.0.1 in my opinion should have warranted an immediate update rather than waiting for a general maintenance update at Steinberg’s convenience.

I understand that early software releases will have some bugs, but if the software is properly and thoroughly tested, bugs should be very minor and addressed in a timely manner. I think the amount of bugs in 8.0.1 is quite large, and some of them quite serious.

I do have to state that Steinberg would not exist without its paying customers, so providing them with a fully tested product when taking their money is a 100% must and if there are flaws, which happen to the best of the best, they need to be addressed quickly.
The incompatibility with most plugins out there should have been fixed and released immediately not part of a regular service release. Actually that should have been caught in early testing for crying out loud.

Yes, pro’s should hold off a bit before completely switching over to a new version but software companies need to do a better job getting their product stable prior to release.
If I would buy a new car I’d expect it to drive safely on day one not after months of updates…or having to leave it parked in the garage until the manufacturer fixes its bugs.

Steinberg dropped the ball with Cubase 7, Nuendo 6 and Wavelab 8 when it comes to a stable release. I have used Steinberg products for over 25 years now and this year has proven the worst in quality of releases thus far in regards to stability. And being owned by Yamaha and with the increasing competition I would expect the opposite.

my 2 cents.

I am truly hoping for a stable release of Wavelab 8.02 this week

However, some of the known issues in 8.0.1 in my opinion should have warranted an immediate update rather than waiting for a general maintenance update at Steinberg’s convenience.

I understand that early software releases will have some bugs, but if the software is properly and thoroughly tested, bugs should be very minor and addressed in a timely manner. I think the amount of bugs in 8.0.1 is quite large, and some of them quite serious.

Thanks heaven. There are some Forum Members which see the problems in the same way, and don’t have the red Steinberg glasses before their eyes.
This is exactly what I mean. What is the benefit of the best WaveLab Version if some plugins don’t work correctly. For our daily work the “ReNOVAtor” plugin is an absolute “MUST”. Since 6 weeks Steinberg knows about that problem, and so far as I understand it, they found the bug. Actual we must switch from WL7 to WL8 to do our daily work, and this is very time consuming. The spectral version from WL is very nice, but has nothing to do with the Algorithmix software. No wonder - for the price of the ReNOVAtor application you can purchase 4 WaveLab full versions.
Such problems must be solved much more faster. It’s impossible that user have to wait for a general update.

I fully agree in the comments of ‘mrtomcat’. Steinberg must have a deep consideration of their company philosophy.

[Yes, pro’s should hold off a bit before completely switching over to a new version but software companies need to do a better job getting their product stable prior to release.
If I would buy a new car I’d expect it to drive safely on day one not after months of updates…or having to leave it parked in the garage until the manufacturer fixes its bugs./quote]

…this year has proven the worst in quality of releases thus far in regards to stability. And being owned by Yamaha and with the increasing competition I would expect the opposite.

I totally understand that new software is prone to bugs. However, WL8 is not all that different than WL7 to me. I’ve posted in other forums that I would have called this WL 7.5 rather than Wavelab 8.

There are some great added features, but it’s not like a complete re-write like we just saw from Pro Tools 10 to Pro Tools 11.

I can’t believe that Steinberg would sell Wavelab 8.0.1 as a usable product (not to mention the boxed version needed an update before it was even launched). It should have been offered as a public beta available when you pre-order Wavelab 8 (and Wavelab 8 shouldn’t even be officially out yet). I have a lot of iLok based plug-ins, and fortunately for me the plug-ins I use regularly in Wavelab don’t have the iLok issue, or don’t use iLok at all like Waves and UAD, but I can see how frustrating it might be for people that can’t use their main plug-ins in Wavelab 8 because of the iLok issue. Even though all my main plugins authorize, Ozone 5 GUI is buggy as usual, it often appears transparent until you fold and unfold it each time. Waves plugin GUI gets weird and most plugins appear extra wide when used with certain other plugins in the new shared plugin window. The wide appearance is not a huge issue, but I now have to guess where the controls really are compared to where they appear in distorted form.

How can issues like this not be detected in development and beta testing? How can something as simple as the bug that doesn’t allow for DDP creation or CD burning when importing WL7 preferences to WL8 go undetected until customers report it? Why not try some high latency plugins on the new montage master section to make sure it can actually be used as advertised?

I understand waiting for a bulk update for some tweaks to feature enhancements, but there are so many MAJOR bugs that make WL8 basically unusable that I would think Steinberg would have done an IMMEDIATE update for those issues, and then another update for smaller issues.

To make it worse, all they can say for an update is “mid June” which has turned into late June at the least. Keep in mind, not all Wavelab users check this forum daily or even weekly. With issues as big as these, I would expect a big banner on the main website as well as an e-mail to anybody that has purchased WL8 and registered with their e-mail address regarding the status of the next Wavelab update.

I would like to recall one thing: WaveLab 8.0.2 will work with all the iLok plugins etc., but the problem’s origin lies in the plugins, which don’t follow Microsoft/Apple recommendations. WaveLab 8.0.2 will “bypass” these problems.
As a user, I know you don’t mind about all that stuff and you only want some host+plugins to work, but don’t forget to blame the plugins too :wink:

Hello,

WaveLab 8.0.2 will be released next week. We needed some extra time to get additional issues fixed and tested. Originally we planned for mid of June, so that’s a 2 weeks delay.

Thanks,
Timo

In the meantime, please enjoy your beta version of Wavelab 8 that we mistakenly released as an official version without actually testing it thoroughly.

WaveLab 8.0.2 will be released next week. We needed some extra time to get additional issues fixed and tested. Originally we planned for mid of June, so that’s a 2 weeks delay.

I only have one word — Unbelievable :exclamation:

We don’t talk about a no-name company, we talk about one of the leading companies in Audio developements. The release of WL 8 was on 6th May.
Now we are eight weeks on, with a lot of problems, and the only comment is, “we have a delay of 2 weeks with a stable update (hopefully :question: )”

Dear Steinberg Team - This is not very customer oriented. There are a lot of other competitors on the market with stable applications, like Sony Sound forge 10 pro. The updates release very fast, and the software work without any problems.

So hopefully the 8.0.2. update will release in the beginning of next week, but may be that Steinberg needs the complete week to testing the Beta Version.

Come on man, just cause you’re highly dependent on iLok plugs the whole program is beta? WL 8.01 is a huge improvement from WL7 and rock solid in my use.

Plus, iLok copy protection has been causing all sorts of problems for manufacturers and users alike. I remember:

• getting a bsod trying to boot into a windows system with pace drivers installed
  • seeing posts about tools that would “wrap” all ilocked software to run without the dongle (generic crack)
  • reading apologies from pace about missing licenses on dongles

Seriously, I think this thing is more than a troublemaker. Why would you want to blame Steinberg for problems with that bug ridden piece of %&$§!?

Ollie

That’s a valid point. And unfortunately, Steinberg is just doing the same mistake again. If 8.0.2 runs basically, one should release it as quick as possible, being prepared for a quickly released 8.0.2a or 8.0.3 that addresses the remaining (hopefully) minor issues.

You never can test sufficiently in the lab to take all sorts of quirky user setups and needs into account.

Jperkinski wrote:

In the meantime, please enjoy your beta version of Wavelab 8 that we mistakenly released as an official version without actually testing it thoroughly.

Arjan P wrote:
Come on man, just cause you’re highly dependent on iLok plugs the whole program is beta? WL 8.01 is a huge improvement from WL7 and rock solid in my use.

Hallo !!! I talk about Algorhitmix plugin, and this run on … (suprise; suprise) … Steinberg eLicenser …
and it doesn’t work. ooupps ---- how stupid; not an iLok problem !!!

I talk about Algorhitmix plugin, and this run on … (suprise; suprise) … Steinberg eLicenser …
and it doesn’t work. ooupps ---- how stupid; not an iLok problem !

The Algorhitmix problem is not the Steinberg eLicenser, but some other memory tricks used by the copy protection of this plugin, the same kind of trick used by iLok.

The problem is not that an early Wavelab version is beta quality. The problem is that the very latest Wavelab 7 version (7.2.1) IS beta quality. Very pathetic PG AND Steinberg.

My e-licencer dongle is full of Steinberg licences but I’ll be an idiot no more.