-UPDATE- Appallingly slow performance -UPDATE- Mixer bug!

I have a big project with lots of stuff going on. Up to 18 minutes long.
Thats said, the Asio meter is safe at around half way and my CPU usage is between 45-55% I also have 5.5-6 gig free ram left unused.

Using Cubase 7.5.2? (newest version patched)
iMac late 2012 i7 3.9ghz 16 gig ram, 3TB fusion drive, 680MX 2gb GFX.
all up to date.

Its been a few weeks since i’ve done anything big in cubase so maybe it’s meant to be like this?
I click in the project along the timeline and it take 2-3 second before the timeline bar moves to the position. Zooming in and out of the project is really really slow.
The peak meters are sticking and going around 1 fps
The timeline bar is also only moving once ever beat it seems.

when it’s like this is almost impossible to work with. It’s horrible.
Meanwhile the rest of the my computer operation remains un disturbed.

I’m not moaning , just wondered if this was something that others are having issues with?

UPDATE

BINGO.
I found the problem and it’s not just me expecting the earth from my iMac and Cubase or forgetting it’s limitations, it’s a bug.

Problem -
Extremely low GUI performance that effects menus and peak meters as well as the timeline.
Loss of hair and heavy intake of caffeine

Cause -
opening the mixer.

Fix -

1. Close the mixer
  2. never use the mixer
  3. wait and prey that Steinberg have seen this and will fix it soon
  4. go do something else with your life

YOUTUBE video I made of my issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsd8SC3x2rM

I´m having pretty sluggish performance on my 2010 6 core 3.33ghz Mac Pro as well, but my main thing except for the general graphic slowness is that I get a beachball “hickup” every 10-30 seconds when doing things like editing, skipping around in the arr etc. Not sure it´s related to your problem but yes I´m having issues also.

ARUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH :angry:

BINGO.
I found the problem and it’s not just me expecting the earth from my iMac and Cubase or forgetting it’s limitations, it’s a bug.

Problem -
Extremely low GUI performance that effects menus and peak meters as well as the timeline.
Loss of hair and heavy intake of caffeine

Cause -
opening the mixer.

Fix -

1. Close the mixer
  2. never use the mixer
  3. wait and prey that Steinberg have seen this and will fix it soon
  4. go do something else with your life

YOUTUBE video I made of my issue.

Ive noticed a few threads about terrible mac performance and I am noticing that a lot of the users are using fusion drives.

Not sure that has anything to do with it as this is a problem i’ve only seen since 7.0.2 and i’ve been using Cubase on a Mac since April last year.
Before the latest update I rarely ran into anything too bad. Certainly not crippling like this.

Yup. Even on a very fast, OC’d i7 4770K with current generation Nvidia card (Windows 7 x64), the Mixer UI is extremely sluggish, even with relatively low CPU utilization.

A “mouse shake test” where one quickly drags the horizontal scrollbar back and forth, huge lag ensures.

By contrast, doing the same test in the arranger windows is rock solid; no lag between the mouse pointer and the scrollbar / UI.

It strains the imagination to understand how a PC that can play a game with more onscreen objects and special effects than a scifi movie, at 120 FPS, can’t deal with a few paginations of off-screen bouncing meters.

The performance of the Mixer UI feels like a 2003 era computer, graphically-speaking.

Something went wrong in the last Cubase patch because it’s never done it before.
I’m currently on 7.5.2.
I hope this at least get seen and fix sometime down the road.
It’s a bit of a bummer though :frowning:
I guess i’ll just have to not use the mixer.

Have you tried running OSX maintenance scripts and repairing permissions