Update, M1, Vocalign Ultra

Steinberg HAVE made an announcement even if you didn’t see it.

I’m not seeing a huge amount of detail from other DAW vendors.
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/macOS-Big-Sur-Support

and many (most!) of the plugin vendors are saying similar things.

I know we all like the drama of ‘pitchforks and flaming torches’ but I’m not sure what you are expecting ? A daily update ?

I’ve seen the announcement, but it’s just stating the obvious, there’s no relevant information for people considering the new hardware.

Yet, on the other hand we have the above quoted text from a senior representative, but we don’t know what to believe. No mods have removed it, no-one ‘official’ has debunked it’s validity - so you can only presume it’s true?

The importance here is whether they are working on it, or not. As that significantly changes the direction for Cubase users looking at buying a new mac in the next 6 months. They could at least let us know that.

Although you previously state you hadn’t seen ANY information about it ? - The advice is very clear

we cannot recommend using Apple Silicon-based systems for the time being

Did you really think that they are NOT working on it ? It seems your only issue is, what you consider a lack of information - ok, that’s a valid opinion and we all would love more transparency from SB but all the currently available information on M1 and SB is linked here in this thread and on the Steinberg website - further speculation or guesswork isn’t really going to achieve anything.

Incidentally, I always thought you were using windows - so I assume you are ‘asking for a friend’ :smiley:

You said “I don’t believe there has been any ‘official’ announcement about the release date for an M1 version of C11”.

And in reply to that, i said that the copy and paste from the Steinberg rep is “the only piece of information i’ve seen”. We were discussing release dates, unless you’ve missed the path of this conversation? :slight_smile:

That announcement in no way explained anything. And no, i haven’t a clue if they’re working on it or not - that’s the issue here, if we are to believe the senior rep copy and paste then it’s pretty much on the back burner and potentially 12-18 months away.

If i were buying a new mac, that would be a real pain not knowing whether to invest or wait it out a little longer.

As for me using windows, i’m actually a mac user who came over to the Windows platform in 2019, so i’ve still got my old Macbooks and Mac Pros. I never upgraded Mac as i was hesitant investing thousands into the new Mac Pros which were vastly over-priced for audio use.

So, from my perspective the ‘new era’ is here, and the M1 machines are looking super attractive time to maybe consider jumping back to the Mac eco system (I don’t think i will… but it’s tempting).

However, my concern is for people in the same boat i found myself, where i had already waited years to see which Mac hardware to jump on - and now these M1 machines exists, with the next level coming later in the year - and i’d be chomping to get hold of one for Cubase use.