Update on Steinberg Licensing terms

all im getting from the statement is “you probably ‘can’ but are NOT supposed to and should not be used that way” simple as that honestly.

its not like they have something in place to disable your account if your studio uses it twice even if its yourself like guitar guy up there.,

skijumtoes has it right by saying:

“Yes, but, “single user” license means that while you can have it on multiple machines, it’s only useable by yourself as terms of the license. But nothing has changed in that regard as the current/dongle system is single user too.”

That have not been released yet. If they do that it will also apply that the software can not be sold to consumers within EU. (At least not according to current swedish consumer rights law (KKL) and that is based on EU laws) They are doing a lot of work regarding this in the context of tax of digital services but I dont they are finished yet.(If you buy the software in swedish shop that is no way you get around KKL). If they only sell the software online from germany I think they can have german law applicable even for swedish consumers. And without a dongle it is quite possible that will not sell through retailers. But the real problem is for studios that can not have a cubase environment for their clients.

Huh? I’m Swedish and I know about KKL (“Konsumentköplagen”). It says absolutely nothing about this. Exactly what are you referring to…?

Huh again? KKL is not about taxes at all.

No problem, there will also be multi-user licenses, also mentioned in the announcement.

3 §

They are working on taxes for digital services, and that might change the product definitions so that software products will not be covered at all by KKL.

They have references to site license for the old system too. But I dont think there is such in real life, instead they have a good discount for them.

I’ll translate that into English:

Contractual terms which, in comparison with the provisions of this law, are to the detriment of the buyer are without effect against him, unless otherwise specified in the law.

This is basically just saying that you cannot circumvent this law by any other agreement.

But again, there’s nothing in this law that states that you cannot have a single-user license only for personal use. Are your argument just that this is not explicitly stated as allowed, and therefore not allowed?

The key is “in comparison with the provisions of this law”. But there are no provisions about this in this law. If you compare this to everything that this law states and regulates, it does not go against it anywhere, so it’s not detriment to the buyer in comparison with the provisions of this law.

There’s also the statement “unless otherwise specified in the law”. So even IF it were affected you would also need to check other laws, KKL is not enough.

Guys, is just a software to make music :joy:. You buy it, install it and make music! If want to use it on 3 computers at the same time I don’t think you have time to read and write on this forum! The same goes for all the ones that complained on internet that they are not happy because they need to authorize Cubase on Internet.

3 Likes

Truly :rofl:

It is clear that any limitation that is not in the law is not applicable. Single user is such limitation. The reference “the law” is to this law. References outside is listed with it’s numbers.