Updated: master bus inserts stay bypassed after preview listening in offline process window

Hello,

after this turned out to be a 100% recurring bug, i want to report it here in the hope that it’s getting fixed.

Update: this does not affect the clip volume as i thought at first, but the insert effects on the master channel. They are not re-activated from their temporary bypass when preview listening. (In my case a master limiter with lots of gain was inserted, hence the dropped volume)

Procedure:

• insert any plugin into your master channel
  • select an audio region/clip on a track and choose any “Process”->e.g. “Phase Reverse” or open the “direct offline processing” (DOP) window and apply any process (it really doesn’t matter which one, there doesn’t even need any change to be made)
  • press spacebar play (or preview play in the DOP window) while the DOP window is still open
  • the sound will be playing at normal level
  • now close the DOP window and press play again
  • watch the bypass “led” of your master channel - insert effects are bypassed while preview listening, but not turned on again
  • “solution”: open the DOP window again and close it immediatley (without hitting play inbetween)

Can anybody confirm/disprove this behaviour ?

My Cubase version is 9.5.3 Build 192 (64bit)
On a Windows 10 PC, Gigabyte Z170X Ultra Gaming, Intel i7, 32GB Ram
Audio Interface: UAD Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt

Hi,

I don’t think this is a general bug, otherwise it would be reported many times already. I would say it’s some specific settings. You could try in Cubase Safe Start Mode or try to trash Cubase preferences.

If you want to investigate… Do you use Control Room? What is your Control Room setup? Could you share a screenshot of your Control Room?

By “press play”, do you mean the Project Play (so for example Spacebar)? Or do you mean local Audition in the DOP window?

Hi, and thanks for trying to help ! :wink:

I don’t think this is a general bug, otherwise it would be reported many times already.

I was wondering about that too, since the search brought up nothing related.
I don’t use the control room at all, and also haven’t made any changes/settings in that regard (wouldn’t even know what).

Update:

I just checked this more thoroughly, and the problem lies here: preview listening from the DOP window (or pressing space bar while DOP is open) causes all insert effects of the main output to go - and stay - bypassed.
Having them temporarily bypassed sounds like a good idea, but it “forgets” to turn them on again. Can anybody confirm this behaviour ?
In my case it is rather drastic as i have a limiter with lots of gain at the master.

I’ve just been working with single clips all the time so i didn’t realize the overall volume was actually affected.
If it’s not a software bug, i have no idea what individual configuration of my system could possibly cause this behaviour.

Hi,

So I assume, you use the Audition button in the DOP window and compare with the whole project playback, right?

The Audition button gives you just a preview of the currently edited selection with the DOP applied. It’s like a solo with the focus.

This is wanted behavior. For more details read the manual, please.

Martin, thanks for your reply, but did you actually read my previous post and the update in the first one ? I explained everything there.

Hi,

Sorry, I tried harder now… :slight_smile:

The difference on my computer was, I was always using Control Room. This must be disabled to be able to reproduce it. The 2nd necessary steps is not to hit Playback (spacebar) once the DOP window is open, but the Audition button in the DOP. This function bypasses the “master” Inserts plug-in.

The problem is, the bypass is not disabled once you close the DOP window. But the “master” Inserts bypass is disabled once you reopen the DOP window. Therefore the “fix” is to reopen and close the DOP window.

I just tested with Cubase 9.5.40 Release Candidate, and this bug has been fixed. :wink: So it will be fixed with Cubase 9.5.40 update, which should be available in a few weeks, as Fabio wrote in other forum thread.

Hi Martin,

Sorry, I tried harder now… > :slight_smile:

hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

The problem is, the bypass is not disabled once you close the DOP window. But the “master” Inserts bypass is disabled once you reopen the DOP window. Therefore the “fix” is to reopen and close the DOP window.

Jup, this is exactly what i had found as the “cause” in the second run - the master channel bypass stays off. Anyway, if this is gone in the update - perfect. I wonder if Steinberg found out about it themselves or their product support is really fast :wink:

There is also another DOP issue i was going to address: sometimes after pitch shifting or time stretching, the affected audio region is rezized to it’s originial length. Hopefully this is fixed too.

Hi,

There is a fix in the Pitch Shift too. Could you send me a link to the 2nd issue you just described, please?

Hi,
i haven’t made a post about it yet, because is isn’t reproducible immediately, it happens kind of randomly, and i haven’t analyzed it more thoroughly.
I’ll try to do so soon.