Upgrade Cubase to Dorico

Hello,
Sorry to add a question to this already heavily loaded chat… :wink:
I would like to know if I can download the Dorico elements version then the Dorico Pro version? The reason is, I would like to know if the Dorico elements version could be enough for my use. If it is the case and if I can use Dorico elements to write the theory parts then copy them into Cubase, this could be a cheaper solution than buying Dorico in its Pro version… If this try shows that the elements version do not the job, I’ll download the pro version.
Best regards.
Marc.

Yes, you can get 30-day trials of both versions: Try Dorico Now for 60 Days for Free | Steinberg

To set you straight: you don’t need to “download” both versions - you just need two trial licenses. There is only ONE Dorico application. The installers for both Elements and Pro are identical. The Dorico application runs either as Elements or as Pro, dependent on which licence is available to it.

As we here in the UK have discovered, leaving matters to a public vote is fraught with difficulties… :wink:

One of the innovations that Avid made to the Sibelius development process was to formalize feature requests and allow voting on them. The whole thing was outsourced to https://ideascale.com/.

There were “a few problems” with it: Most people never bothered to visit the “feature request list” site just to scan through dozens of (mostly trivial) ideas and vote on them, so there was a very strong correlation between “number of votes” and “time since the idea was proposed”. The ideas at the top of the voting list were all several years old - if only because Avid hardly ever implemented anything on the list in any case. Last time I checked (admittedly a few years ago) there were hundreds of ideas listed, and Avid claimed to be “working on” just 8 of them.

The only ideas which accumulated votes (however slowly) were trivia that most people could understand - like “audio output in .mp3 format, not just .wav” which has nothing to do with music notation, and is trivial (and free) to do outside the notation app in any case.

The whole waste of time has now been formally abandoned by Avid.

Of course “listening to users” is an essential part of creating a high quality product, but only if you keep in mind the old British proverb, “empty vessels make the most noise”.

It should also be borne in mind that not all features are equal in terms of effort and resources. Some features may require many more man-hours than others. (And if I had a pound for every time someone said “I’m sure it would be easy to implement…”… :laughing: )

If the most popular request is also the most difficult, do you throw all your resources at that one problem for six months, doing nothing else, or do you get lots of smaller things done while putting aside some effort for the big problem, slowly?

I, for one, could not wish for better project management than I have seen at Dorico these past couple of years; and I’m more than happy to just let them get on with it. If your pet feature isn’t there yet: wait a bit. It’ll come.

Thank you for your answers :wink:

Odd, I can’t get the activation code once I have sent my email as it is requested … Neither in spam nor advertising ban on the page … I do not understand. … Do you have an idea ?

Have you already had a previous Dorico 2 trial? If so, that would explain it, as in general we will only provide one (you cannot add a second trial for the same version of the product on the same eLicenser anyway).

Thank you for your answer… suddenly, it accepted my request this morning… I will download soon… :wink: