Haven’t been following the forums too much in the last years, as I have a very stable C4 environment (100% dedicated PC). Now it’s time to upgrade.
My current HW setup:
- Asus P4PE-GLF (M8L996) mainboard (onboard FW, Audio, Parallel, Serial & LAN disabled in BIOS, HT disabled)
- Intel P4 3.06 GHz Tray FSB533 512k 478pin HT CPU
- Kingston 1GB DDR333 PC2700 DIMM (2x512)
- Matrox G550 DH 32MB DDR OEM Dual Head AGP4X Sgram 360Mhz
- 1 x IBM 120GB IC35 ATA100 8.5ms 2MB 7200rpm system disk* [EIDE, master on primary IDE channel]
- 2 x Maxtor Diamond Plus9 80GB (raid0) = 160GB audio disk [onboard SATA raid controller]
- Noname FireWire interface (VIA chip)
- Philips DualLayer DVDR1640 (+/-) (e:) [master on secondary IDE channel]
- CASE Best System TC29K ATX 300W MidiTower
- WinXPproSP2 (tuned following http://www.musicxp.net)
- Very strong and noisy fan (the case/CPU is located outside the studio)
- MOTU 828mkII
- Steinberg Midex8
- Mackie MCU
- TC Power Core FW
Notes: HT is disabled because of compatibility problems with NI Battery
My current SW setup:
- Windows XP Pro 32bit, SP2
- C4 (latest patch)
- NI Battery 2
- GMedia M-Tron
I use this setup mainly for mixing. It is able to handle 30-50 audio tracks plus a dozen group/return chanels, 2-3 VSTi and 20-30 VST fx.
Unfortunately, to solve some bugs I need to upgrade to C6, but I don’t want to invest in a new PC + Win7 + 64bit + update all plugins + destroy the Midex8 + …
I know C6 on XP is not officially supported by Steinberg, but I read that it works, so I need your experience for my plan.
I made different searches but unfortunately the search for “XP” does not work as the term is considered too common…
Here are my questions:
- I’ve read that C6 can run on Wonsows XP, correct?
- I need to install SP3, correct?
- I need to install .NET Framework, correct? What version?
- Does it make sense to upgrade RAM to 2GB (max for my MoBo)?
- Midex8 will still work with SP3?
- Will I loose performance (track count, VSTi and VST count)?
- I am thinking of adding a Focusrite Luquid Mix. Any experience if this will work with my setup?
- any other thing I have to think of to make it work?
I’ll appreciate all your comments and hints. I’m asking for your thoughts and experiences on a similar path.
This setup is for my own project studio only for my band, so we produce a record every 2-4 years, and I don’t want to buy a new PC every time… I hope you understand.
Kind regards from Switzerland.