Upgrade Pricing - fair deal?

You are using a version that has eLc so it can’t be anything prior to Cubase SX.

Are you sure about that ?..

This article explains how to obtain an actvation code for an older Cubase VST version to run on a newer eLicenser “dongle” https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/how-to-use-cubase-vst-on-a-computer-without-printer-port.html

I think it was asked in another post “what color is your dongle” so anyone posting here must have had a blue colored dongle otherwise a license could not have been transferred and as such they’d not have access to the lounge.

Whilst I can understand that if your slow to scratch the SURFACE you may want to take some time to explore a particular version of Cubase, I think you have to agree that if every single Steinberg customer took a similar stance, there would be no Cubase to explore.

As Mr M said, and I agree completely, I want development of Steinberg products to continue.

I don’t have a problem with newbies, younglings or anyone else for that matter purchasing, upgrading or for any other reason buying steinberg products, so long as the resources are there to support ongoing development, it is not any users’ duty to dissuade users from purchasing.

In other words there is a vested interest in my being happy to help people new to the program, which is a lot more than what I can say for some others.

Dear Steve,

that’s a very smart idea to individualise a software package and I second that!

E.g. I could have easily done without Retrologue. I have heard these kind of sounds a thousand times and it bores the hell out of me. I heard quite a bunch of people say that they don’t need further additions to an already existing armada of synths to produce a desired sound - and yes I couldn’t agree more.

I presume that most of the people on here including myself welcome any form of improved workflow and prompt bug fixes.

Auf Wiedersehen

J.

Forget “customer” loyalty. In business transactions, blind loyalty is for suckers. Loyalty is for things like spouses, kids, kings, and countries. Not for things you pay for. Make them earn your hard earned money. I am sure they get more satisfaction out of knowing that you chose their product because it was the best value, not because of a sense of loyalty. Also, don’t confuse loyalty for convenience. If someone doesn’t want to switch to another franchise due to the startup costs, fear of a learning curve, or a loss of features, that is not loyalty. Loyalty is a “faithfullness to commitments or obligations”. As I see it, the only commitment we have made to Steinberg is to use the software in accordance with the user agreement. It has no mention of buying the next version even if the competition is better.

I am quite certain I will upgrade eventually, but it will be because it is a good value, not due to any sense of loyalty.

Sincerely,
J.L.

But in the business world, that is precisely what the term “customer loyalty” refers to – it MUST be earned and nurtured, and it is definitely not blind – it is NOT a given, and therefore not the same sense of “loyalty” that we use with regards to personal relationships, etc.

I speak as someone who has owned and helped run a multi-million-dollar business for 30+ years :sunglasses:

With the upgrade from v4/5 to v6/6.5/7 deal, our dearest beloved Steinberg have “created” value because of new features that users have demanded but what Steinberg have delivered.

Sometimes you may wonder why you bother scouring through these tedious grousing threads, and suddenly you stumble across a gem of a sentence such as this - and you realise it was worth every eyeroll!

Thanks, Steve, for adding a bit of value to my day! :laughing:

And then there are those that think that saying a lot will mean that they know it all.
Upgrade pricing fair deal? Hell yes. Who needs to complain about the freebies?
The guys who’ve run out of things to complain about? :mrgreen:
Only a concise brain can say it all in one headline. Rupert Murdoch and the other’s do that very well.
And they make millions $ out of it.
If you write a sentence like the quoted one without C & P then I’d get a job on a newspaper.

Aww c’mon, lighten up Conman. :slight_smile:
I thought Steve showed you all due respect by attributing half your quotes to fizbin. :laughing: