Upgrade sacrifices

Hi I am running Mac OS Monterey (12.6.8 (21G725)) on a 2021 iMac M1 chip and am thinking of upgrading from Cubase Artist 12 to Artist 13

1. I am wondering if I will notice any slowness eg not being able to handle the tracks or plugins

2. I have quite a few VST 2.4 plugins and don’t know if they will still work once upgrading

Thanks for any help about this

Thanks, Sid

Hi,

You will need to start Cubase 13 in the Rosetta Mode, the same as you start Cubase 12, to be able to use the old VST 2.4 plug-ins.

You should have no problem.

You can download and install Cubase 13 Trial, to test it on your specific system and make sure, everything is working as expected.

1 Like

so I wont have to re install different versions of my plugins?

lets say if there is can I still open my projects in the older Artist. 12 version that I made them on?

Hi,

No. If you want to use Cubase in the Native mode on Mac Apple Silicon processors, you have to use VST3 plug-ins. Then you would need to reinstall the plug-ins or buy an update with the VST3 version of the plug-in or ask the plug-in developers to develop the VST3 version of the plug-in (if it’s not available yet). But if you are going to use in the Rosetta Mode, you don’t need to do anything but installing the new Cubase version.

Yes, you can. You Cubase Artist 12 version remains untouched.

2 Likes

thanks so much for the help my last thought is, is there any performance difference between Rosetta Mode and native?

Thanks again

Hi,

Yes, there is. The Native mode is better. But if you don’t stress your system, you will not notice.

I highly recommend you phase out all VST2 plugins. I’m not saying to do it immediately, all at once, but I suggest you come up with a plan that will take into account the fact that VST3 is what Steinberg (and others) will be supporting going forward. I’m not even making a statement about whether or not I agree with Steinberg and other devs about what they are doing. It’s just fact, and won’t be reversed. With each passing year, it becomes more important to face this reality. So the longer you wait, the harder the inevitable transition will be.

One strategy is that for all NEW projects, you stick with 100% VST3 and native Apple Silicon, and that way you’ll also be able to take advantage of the performance optimizations of Apple Silicon of course. Old projects you can still run on Rosetta.

If you want a more aggressive strategy, then consider pulling off the band-aide sooner and start switching over all CURRENT projects too. You can do this by installing both VST2 and VST3 versions of plugins, then changing everything over to VST3 while running in Rosetta, then reloading Cubase in native mode with 100% VST3 as you transition each project. This can be time consuming depending on how complex your projects are.

Bottom line, I suggest you don’t invest much more time in VST2. It is what it is. Life goes on, accept it and start making plans. Good luck!

3 Likes

thanks heaps will start implementing

1 Like

:+1: thanks