Upgrade to CB 12 Now or Wait?

I am concerned that I am starting to experience issues with my Hardware Dongle. For the past couple of days a dialog box comes up informing me that a license for my CBP11 software can not be found and that CBP is going to quit. I have to then unplug the dongle and plug it back in to get CBP11 to see it and start properly.

Since I only have a CBP11 license on my dongle I could upgrade to CBP12 and not need the dongle any longer.

My concern is that so many people are reporting so many issues of all kinds with CBP12 here in this forum and in other forums on the Web. Some people have reported that installing CBP12 has disabled their CBP11 software as well.

I realize that people experiencing issues with software upgrades post more often than those with successful software instillations in forums. So, what I would appreciate is if those with no issues, who have computers similar to those listed in my signature, would state that they are not having issues or, if they did, how they have worked around them.

Thank you all very much!

Signature

Luna 1.2.7, Logic Pro 10.7.4, Cubase Pro 11.0.41, Studio One 5.5.2, Pro Tools Studio, UAD-2 software 10.0, PreSonus Quantum 2, UA Apollo 8, UA Apollo Twin Mk 2 (2), UAD-2 Thunderbolt Satellite Quad (2), Studio A: Apple iMac 2020, i7 8-core 3.8 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP5700XT GPU, 10 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Monterey 12.3.1. Studio B: Apple iMac 2015, i7 4-core 4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP395X GPU, 1 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Monterey 12.3.1.

I would wait, at least until the next update comes out, probably 12.0.30

This will be good for Cubase 12 itself, but not for all the Steinberg content.

2 Likes

I think better is to wait until 12.0.30 at least. As for now there are quite a lot of bugs in 12. I have bought CB12 Pro in first release day but still working in CB11 Pro as CB12 Pro just doesnt feel as good and stable enough as it should be. I hope that Steinberg will fix some most annoying bugs in 12.0.30. Currently at least for me 12 is not yet cooked enough to be really tasty :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The only Steinberg product that we own is CBP11. Is the dongle needed for any of the instruments and effects that are supplied with CBP12 that were also supplied with CBP11 once CBP12 is installed?

I am still on 11. 12 looks really cool, but really not so stable IMHO yet… so I am waiting…

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I was on the fence but I think I will continue to wait. I just hope my dongle holds on.

Yes, it is.

Check the USB port - maybe it became loose and thats why you have issues with connect. I use USB port on my Arturia AudioFuse Studio - Where I located iLok and eLicenser dongles. And plastic eLicenser of course is not as sturdy as iLok which is metal.

1 Like

I have checked the USB port by switching my iLoc dongle with the Steinberg Dongle and by moving the Steinberg dongle to another port not normally used for dongles. The same problem continues to be a problem intermittently. The Steinberg dongle is very old…I believe I received it with Cubase SX3…it’s the old blue plastic dongle that looks like a USB drive!

Looks like I will need dongle for some time to come.

How does one transfer a CBP11 license from my old dongle to a new one? What is the procedure?

Thanks for all the help.

Simply plug both dongles in and drag the license from one to the other.

1 Like

I assume I drag the license from one dongle to the other within the Steinberg License Manager…will it see the new dongle or do I need to register it in some way, or do something with it, before plugging it in?

I just ordered a new dongle from Sweetwater. I should have it in a few days. Thanks for all the help everyone!

2 Likes

You will also notice a bit more snappiness in the daw, since you’re going from such an old dongle to brand new.

1 Like

When I get the new dongle do I have to register it in some way before transferring the license?

There is nothing like having a snappier dongle! lol

1 Like

:crazy_face:

You would use the menu in the Elicenser to register the viral new dongle.

1 Like

First I knew of this, what’s included in C12 that needs the dongle? It’s a single C12 license that covers the stock install isn’t it?

Well, stupid me - I looked it up and as expected, you are correct sir

Wait, is that not the case?

If I remove my dongle it’s only additional plugins such as HALion/Sonic/Groove Agent/Backbone that fail to authenticate.

Not seen an stock insert or any of the ‘SE’ instruments fail when running C12 without dongle inserted.

But now you have me doubting myself. :slight_smile:

heh! Don’t doubt yourself. I’ll doubt myself. Back in a jiffy…

jiffy o’ clock: I think you are right @skijumptoes! I got confused due to soft-licenses I have for a couple things. After removing everything in the missing licenses dialog on Cubase launch, I’m left with default content, and Cubase 12 starts up without the dongle plugged in.

1 Like