Upgrade to CB 12 Now or Wait?

On the fence as well.

What do you anticipate will be improved in the next update, “probably 12.0.30”, that will make that one the one to update to from C11 Pro (rather than now at 12.0.20)?

Stability. I have 12.0.20 installed for testing, but I use 10.5 for any real work.
There’s nothing wrong in being an early adopter if you can afford to potentially run into some bugs and crashes.
I like to install the new major versions to check out new features and keep up with the community and their thoughts around them, but I never actually switch and start working in the newer version until they stopped releasing minor version updates.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m glad your 10.5 is not affected by having 12 on your system. I would do as you did (download 12 while continuing to work on an older version), but concern I’d be one of those whose C11 Pro was adversely affected is keeping me from doing so.

Having C12 Pro would be very cool, but it’s not worth it to me if there’s a reasonable chance I’d have to go back and reinstall my c: drive backup to get back to a working C11 Pro.

So I guess I’ll probably wait till Cubase 12.0.30, as recommended by the moderators!

If you have a working version of Cubase 11 that is stable, I would definitely recommend that you wait.
I cannot stress enough how valuable a stable and working DAW is on a daily basis. In addition to the many reports of the instability of Cubase 12, the installation process seems to have affected stable Cubase 11 instals as is the case for us.
RE-burning a previous ISO of our complete system drive with a stable Cubase 11 instal was the only way we could continue working on a daily basis again. No amount of shiny new features holds a candle to stability and dependable workflow.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your insight and recommendations.

I am going to delay upgrading to CP12 until it reported that the larger bugs are corrected.

I have purchased a new dongle and will move my CP11 license to it because my existing 17 year-old dongle (SX3) appears to be starting to fail.

CP11 runs very well for me; I have had zero issues with it since I upgraded a couple years ago from CP10.5.

The new features in CP12 look great and I am looking forward to upgrading to it as soon as it’s more stable.

Signature

Luna 1.2.7, Logic Pro 10.7.4, Cubase Pro 11.0.41, Studio One 5.5.2, Pro Tools Studio, UAD-2 software 10.0, PreSonus Quantum 2, UA Apollo 8, UA Apollo Twin Mk 2 (2), UAD-2 Thunderbolt Satellite Quad (2), Studio A: Apple iMac 2020, i7 8-core 3.8 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP5700XT GPU, 10 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Monterey 12.3.1. Studio B: Apple iMac 2015, i7 4-core 4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP395X GPU, 1 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Monterey 12.3.1.

Thanks for your whole post, @Featherlightstudio, very calmly and convincingly written to stay on Cubase 11 Pro. Moving on to Cubase 12 is so tempting, multiple times a week I’m almost ready to pull the trigger. Your well written post will give me strength I need to not do so!

I appreciate your writing the below as well. The mods were saying they hadn’t seen any of the posts that C12 was messing up C11, and weren’t aware that could happen. Maybe this one will catch their eye!

Really the big question in my mind is “How will I know when it is safe to upgrade to C12?”. Not sure how to answer that …

We have been long time Cubase Pro users/supporters here at out Studio and Steinberg has always shown great dedication in getting each new version out and stable. This version seems to have presented some unique problems which appear to be exacerbated by the ever increasing combination of hardware setups.
That being said, if you depend on your DAW as a daily production tool, the next update cycle (12.0.30) will likely address the bulk of the reported issues and you should be good to go.