Upgraded to 13, why the smaller fonts on Windows?

Hi there,

I just updated from 12 to 13, and what I immediately noticed is the new UI is getting less and less readable (small / thin fonts). Even on menus!

I’m attaching two pictures, one from 12 and one from 13.

I’m using the same HiDpi settings (-25%) in both Cubase 12 and 13. Of course I tried with using the system settings (125%) and everything gets a bit too big and there are discrepancies in the GUI that bugs me a lot (like lines between elements that disappears or doesn’t have the same width), other than wasting precious space.

Cubase 12

Cubase 13

Anyone noticed this?

Sorry, I’m on Mac.

But does disabling Font Smoothing help with readability maybe?

1. Launch the Start menu.
  2. Search and open “View advanced system settings.”
  3. Go to the “Advanced” tab.
  4. Click “Settings” under “Performance.”
  5. Go to the “Visual Effects” tab.
  6. Uncheck the “Smooth edges of screen fonts” checkbox.
  7. Press “Apply” and “Ok.”
  8. Close the “System Properties” window.
  9. Reboot the PC.
  10. With that, font smoothing is disabled in Windows.

Thanks for replying!

That would make all system fonts pixelated though (like bitmap fonts), a bit like it was on pre-Windows XP era, and will apply to the entire system and all the apps - so I’d really not want that.

Problem is really just the size (which on Cubase 12 looks fine enough).

I mean, look at that number 3, it has a width of literally four pixels… on a screen of 3440x1440.

1 Like

Steinberg stepping into Pixel Art territory with C13 :scream_cat:

When I look at your screen resolution though, 3440x1440 is a resolution that is native on most popular screens, like the LG Ultrawide. However, there are also screens with 3840 pixels horizontally - I wonder what resolution Steinberg uses as a “main reference” for the Cubase UI?