Upgrading studio stuff - Need Advice/Help

Hey,

My goal is to upgrade the current home studio and make a producer friendly setup, especially something with a quick and easy to use interface is desired (ie qwerty kb replacement), and semi future proof my setup with things that are easy and cheap to upgrade.

Also, i want to know if you guys had any experience using some of these softwares and/or hardwares, it would def help me out if i know more pro’s and con’s from users directly. i should be able to purchase these by late Feb early March.

i mainly work with current HipHop/Rnb, Pop, Dance, Electronic music. My synthesizer and mixing knowledge is somewhat limited, i concentrate on the creative production more then the technical engineering and the quicker i can bang out my ideas, the better. The most mixing that takes place in my workflow is at the end of every session, i like to tweak small bits and makes sure things are sounding ok.

I own a Roland Fantom X6 kb (controller/sound module) and few VSTi’s like Rob Papens Pred, Albino and NI’s Battery3.

Here’s what i came up with so far followed with a brief explanation:

NI Komplete 7 - pretty self explanatory.
Propellerheads Reason 5 Upgrade - upgrading my Reason 2.5 to 5.
Waves The Tony Maserati Collection - Quick and Easy way to get some great sounding results.
Waves Native Power Pack - Im not sure if ill get this, but a great affordable bundle from Waves.
NI Maschine - 2 birds with 1 stone situation, sounds and easy to understand GUI with a familiar controller.
reFX Nexus2 - great sounding rompler with very basic tweaking.
Lennard Digital Sylenth 1 - Great sounding synthesizer with an easy to understand GUI

Argosy Classic Speaker Stands - Argosy Spire Classic 42" Studio Monitor Stands | Sweetwater
sE Electronics Project Studio Reflexion Filter - sE Electronics Project Studio Reflexion - Durable Metal Construction | Sweetwater
Steinberg CC121

maybe change the CC121 with a midi KB like the Axiom? (CC121 only has 4 programmable buttons)
maybe opt out on the Sylenth1 because of Komplete 7?

what do you think?

Dice.Suzuki

Oh! and if anyone knows of any non-Ikea production friendly desks, it would help also. :slight_smile:

I highly recommend something like XKeys for a KB add-on. I printed some custom labels for functions I use all the time. I wouldn’t even think about using my regular keyboard except to type in names. You can customize the XKey to exactly what you want.

This is the one I use… http://www.amazon.com/X-keys-Professional-key-USB-keyboard/dp/B000051464/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294685087&sr=8-1

Hi, You might really want to consider upgrading your Proellerhead to V5 (or even the combo with record). Added new synths and drums are really nice and easy to work with. I think they have a demo, not shure. and it’s cost effective, since it’s an upgrade instead of initial purchase. This might sound strange, but if you could find a copy of the old Steiny VST Xphraze, it’s still relevant to what you seem to be doing. Nexux is cool. I can’t speak for the others you mentioned, but thought i’d put my 2 cents in on the ones i use. I use a Presonus faderport for transport, but i don’t do a lot of loops and slicing that requires keyboard intensive control. I bought a “corner” type computer desk at one of the box stores several years ago on the cheapo and adapted it to my needs-works great. see pic
t4 005a.jpg

Hey bob1474,

Im indeed upgrading my v2.5 to v5! :smiley: however, i dont find the necessity for Record.
Ive also tried out all of the softwares except for the Waves since i do not have a key with me at the moment.

I used to own the Presonus Faderport as well, but what im looking for, as far as key control, is like what shaquapa mentioned on the reply. Faderport is great for mixer channels and transport, however it lacks programmable buttons for ie. Duplicate, Cut, Zoom -/+, select, cross fade, metronome, quantize, locators to selection, VST Instrument, Mixer and so on and so forth. So, currently im searching for something with Buttons and knobs accompanied with basic controls. otherwise i have to purchase 2 devices, 1 what was suggested and the other like the Korg Nano.

I too do not use loops but the NI Maschine will take care of that should the situation be needed.

Thanks!