Upgrading WaveLab 6 to Wavelab 8 Help!!

I have used Wavelab for a long time (think it was v2.0 to 6.0) I have not been active /upgraded to the newer versions of WL-7 and 8 since they are not compatible with Windows XP.

I will be getting a Windows 7 PC and want to know if If I get it with a 64bit OS version will WL-8 be compatible with all of my “Waves Diamond” bundle plugins which I think are 32bit. Is WL-8 compatible with the 32bit Waves plugins on a PC with a Windows 7 64bit OS. I am looking at a WL-8 upgrade from WL-6 on the Steinberg.net shop page and it does not mention anything purchasing 32 or 64bit versions of it. Does the WL-8 boxed product version come with both 32/64 bit versions and can you install either or both on a Windows 7 64bit PC. So in my case would I then need to use the 32 bit version of WL-8 to use all of my Waves Diamond 32bit plugins. If I then upgraded to the 64bit Waves plugins then I can now use WL-8 64bit with the Waves 64bit plugins

Very confusing so if you can clear up that would be great

Can try to answer one of your questions, but I am a Wavelab 8 user on Mac - however

As is true on the Mac, I believe you are able to run Wavelab in either 32-bit or 64-bit. There’s an option to tick somewhere in Windows that will load the 32-but version.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that your 32-bit Diamond bundle is unlikely to run on Wavelab 8. Mine doesn’t. As I am doing, you are currently probably using waveshell 7 and/or 8 and these both use iLok to verify that you own the software. Wavelab 8 does not like iLok very much and mine crashes every time I try to load a Waves plugin. However, if you upgrade to Waves waveshell 9, you get 64-bit plugins as well as their new verification system and I am told these all run.

You can upgrade your Waves plugins by paying them $300 to get their WUP (Waves Update Plan) - see their website. I haven’t done this yet as their may be hope that the next version of WL8 may be a bit kinder to iLok. I am waiting to see if this is the case before I fork out $300 to Waves.

As far as I’m aware, you get all versions when you purchase, 32, 64, Mac and PC

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I figured you have the option to install either 32 or 64 bit so that is good

I checked the Waves plugins and it says version 5.2

I currently have Win 7 (32 bit) installed on an old test PC and I have Wavelab 6 installed on it and all plugins work fine but the PC is too slow so I need all new hardware and either 32 or 64 bit OS version

So now with Wavelab 8 on a Windows 7 (64 or 32 bit) the waves plugins (v5.2)that I have will not work properly.

The issue is between WL8 and the older Waves Plugins.

I’m like you and would rather not fork over another $300. Soon as a new OS comes out everybody looks to get their cut by saying you need to upgrade you software and they make it impossible to use even if still would work

You mentioned a WL8 update may fix this issue…I wonder if PG can shed some light on this issue

Thanks again

Is WL-8 compatible with the 32bit Waves plugins on a PC with a Windows 7 64bit OS

WaveLab 32 bit can be installed on Windows 7 64bit, and then support 32 bit plugins. Now, I don’t know if your particular old Waves 5.2 plugins will work. Waves 9.2 work, but 5.2?..

Thanks for the info PG

The waves v5.2 plugins that I have work fine with Wavelab 6 on a PC with Windows 7 (32bit OS) so if the plugins don’t work with Wavelab 8 then it’s someting in Wavelab 8 that’s causing it not to work…Can this be fixed with a Wavelab update?

Does WaveLab 8 come with both 32/64bit versions and do you have the option to install either or can you have both instances on a PC with Win 7 (64bit OS)

Thanks,
Scott

The waves v5.2 plugins that I have work fine with Wavelab 6 on a PC with Windows 7 (32bit OS) so if the plugins don’t work with Wavelab 8 then it’s someting in Wavelab 8 that’s causing it not to work

I did not say it does not work, I just say I ignore. The upcoming WaveLab 8.0.2 is more tolerant with iLok protection, hence there is a good chance of success.

Does WaveLab 8 come with both 32/64bit versions and do you have the option to install either or can you have both instances on a PC with Win 7 (64bit OS)

Yes