Upon exiting 'Note Input' mode, stay active (orange) on last entered note or measure?

I thought I could do this, (or had once stumbled upon it)…

Is there a way to exit ‘Note entry’ mode and have the ‘stay active’ mode stay engaged (in orange glow) on the last entered note or the current measure?

That would very nice! Otherwise, one always has to press the ‘esc’ key on the computer keyboard, and you lose ‘stay active’ mode (orange glow).

When using hot-keys assigned to something like StreamDeck, this would be very handy because you don’t have to move your hand back to the computer keyboard and one could quickly start entering articulations, etc.

Is this possible in Dorico, (or StreamDeck)?

Thanks all.

Note: ahh!..I see that ‘active mode’ is only active for note entry when you are in ‘Specify rhythm dot, etc.’ BEFORE note.

If you’re in AFTER note mode, then it’s not in active mode until you click on a note again.

The problem is that if you’re using pitch-before-duration input, the note you just input won’t be selected, to avoid the problem that you want to e.g. transpose the shadow note for the next pitch but end up transposing the last note you input. So, no, there’s no way around this.

Daniel, thanks for the explanation…most logical!
I’m now actually more adept at using both modes of ‘pitch-before-duration’ (ie: enter Articulations, Dots, etc. in AFTER or BEFORE mode).
So, it’s all working very smoothly and quickly for me now that I am used to the logical thinking of how tied-notes are thought about and how they can be extended in order to create a ‘dotted note’.
It’s like second nature now.
I’m discovering that you guys have pretty much covered any foreseeable problems without resorting to using a bunch of plug-ins, which is making life smooth and composing more seamless by not having to remember hundreds of plug-in locations or their names.
Thanks for answering!

Hello, and I’m reporting that I’m back as a Dorico user!
(…for several reasons…including that I can now ‘wrap my head’ around the Dorico ‘pitch-before-duration’ method as compared to Sibelius!..sure, call me a stubborn pencil/paper trained musician, but I re-trained my brain in about an hour to the Dorico methodology. And, using a StreamDeck makes life easier seeing as I’m a MIDI-keyboard composer who has to ‘noodle around’ as I go.)
One great reason to coming back into the fold is that I won’t have to worry about the dreaded Avid subcription problems that seem to affect everyone at some point or the other. I really love your Dorico plan of just buying the software and owning it, being able to take it with you on a laptop that doesn’t have internet access and just being able to carry on working.

And, your iOS version is fantastic compared to the Sibelius offering. I’ve been using StaffPad successfully for some projects and sketching, but having the keyboard available in the Dorico app makes for surety in entering notes and rhythms without having to second-guess if the handwriting recognition will work or not! I’ve got my daughter, who is a budding musician wanting to do some arranging/adapting for her and her school friends, into liking the iOS version as well. The Dorico app just works, and is always there. (…again, Sibelius is ‘hit or miss’ as an iOS app depening on whether you’ve been on the internet on that particular iPad in the past and have signed-in to Avid…all very much of a ‘downer’ when trying to use)

And now, I’m having some projects in which I am creating multiple scores with ‘play-along’ educational features for several different instruments. It’s been possible to do so in Sibelius, but the integration of easy MIDI editing, flow variations, etc. etc. is certainly an attraction at this point in time and my future music projects. And the integration of AU/VST effects is more natural to use in Dorico to enhance the software libraries being used.

I didn’t think I would come back to Dorico and even gave up my previous license, so I am now on the 60-day Demo. After a few days of getting back in the ‘Dorico-flow’ using the Demo, I’ll save up for purchasing the Pro version again; or use my Sibelius cross-grade, seeing as I could just save my current version of Sibelius being a perpetual owner.

It’s very nice to see the various included SMUL fonts as well as all the other improvements since I last had Dorico 3. Pretty amazing what you’ve done!

Anyways, lots to catch up on as I continue on. Just thought I’d say ‘job well done’ on everything and for the future.

Yours truly,
Cam Millar

It’s very good to see you back here, Cam, and I hope you continue to enjoy getting back in acquaintance with Dorico.

Thank you! The re acquaintance period seems like ‘old-home’ week. You and your team have done an amazing job of providing tutorial videos, Forums, etc. etc. I can carry on without any ‘downtime’ at all!
I was one of the first people to buy NotationCentral’s StreamDeck package for Dorico when it first came out. So glad that I kept it on the computer.
And, having just showed your iOS app to a friend who’s a classical guitar player/composer, she’s amazed at what you’ve done for portability and she’s off to Europe for a couple of months with her new iPad Pro and Dorico iOS.
Looking forward to many future years of productivity with Dorico!

1 Like