UR 824 and external RAT distortion

Hey guys had a question regarding using my distortion pedal as an external effect as I can’t figure it out for the life of me. Hopefully I’m just missing something stupid but something seems off. My current setup has my x0xb0x audio going through the pedal and into the UR824 audio input with no issues at all so I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. My problem comes when I try to send a signal from a VST in Cubase 11 to the pedal, then back into Cubase via external fx. Doesn’t work in Ableton either. My setup is, audio from output 3 on the UR 824 into the pedal, then back into input channel 8 on the UR 824. The only thing I’ve changed is audio from my external synth to an output on the interface. I have an external fx setup in audio connections sending audio from 3 and coming back on 8 so I think that’s correct. Any ideas on why this is happening? Thanks in advance

Hi
I suck at external fx and i dont run cubase any more, but I would think that you just took a wrong turn somewhere with cubase routing, so probably ask the super knowlegdeable guys over in the cubase 11 forum:)