UR 824 - users opinions?

I am considering getting the Steinberg UR 824 and i would appreciate some input as switching my audio core would be a big undertaking.

Is this device “stackable” in case i discover I need more inputs/ outputs?

Is the integrated cue system and overall integration with Nuendo good?

Is the zero latency a reality?

Is this device “stackable” in case i discover I need more inputs/ outputs?

Yes and no.
It’s scalable with adat inputs.
So you’ll loose dsp capabilities of the the adat connected units. But you’ll be able to apply dsp fx from the usb connected one. The trick is to connect the UR824 with usb once, do your routings, then connect it in slave ADAT mode.

Is the integrated cue system and overall integration with Nuendo good?

Yes very good. It is in the console, you get a dedicated hardware strip.
Only drawback I found using it in long voice over sessions : You loose contact with the talent while loading the next session.
So I ended up doing the famous “fake UR824 fake dll trick”, so I could work with the UR824 with the dedicated mixer (hence no integration with the nuendo mixer) for those sessions.
Usually, you keep on talking to the talent about the next session while loading the incoming project.

Is the zero latency a reality?

Yes, everyting PRE nuendo recording is 0 latency So guitar amp emulation, reverb, eq etc…

Thanks so much for your informative and concise reply. I hope you don’t mind my asking a few more questions. It’s a big commitment.

Yes and no.
It’s scalable with adat inputs.
So you’ll loose dsp capabilities of the the adat connected units. But you’ll be able to apply dsp fx from the usb connected one. The trick is to connect the UR824 with usb once, do your routing, then connect it in slave ADAT mode.

So when I plug one adat unit in to the first unit that’s connected to the 824, I will lose the dsp capabilities of that “slave” unit? Can the slave be any type of adat device or would it need to be an 824?

Can I also slave a S/PDIF unit? I have the crane song HEDD and I use it in both recording and mix down.

When you say that I will lose the dsp capabilities, do you mean the processing (reverb, etc.) or the capability to use it in the direct recording environment? Will I only be able to find it in Nuendo outside of the direct recording cue mix environment?

The slave can be any adat device.

I believe that phantom power can only be switched on in pairs on the UR range, whereas on the MR816 it can be switched on separately for every mic input. Check it out if that is important to you.

I think I’m going to cough up the extra dough and get the RME 802. It’s got all f the stuff i need. I just really liked the implementation with Cubase that the UR 824 has.

Yes, both Adat are configurable either as adat or spdif.

Just had a look to it and it has 6 more I/O than the UR824 (4 analogs and 2 AES/EBU). But the price is twice higher.

I wish we could stack the UR824 like the 816 MRX. But different protocols (USB VS firewire) might have made this impossible.

To be fair, I know totalmix and the routing is much more versatile than the UR 824’s one.

Just had a look to it and it has 6 more I/O than the UR824 (4 analogs and 2 AES/EBU). But the price is twice higher.

I wish we could stack the UR824 like the 816 MRX. But different protocols (USB VS firewire) might have made this impossible.

To be fair, I know totalmix and the routing is much more versatile than the UR 824’s one.

I really wanted the simplicity of the integration with Nuendo but in the end the UR824 jut didn’t have enough stuff for my particular needs.

It would be nice for a lot of users if Steinberg updated it to be competitive with the MRX and the MOTU devices.
But it’s OK because I’d rather they put their efforts in to their software.