UR interfaces audio drop outs (follow-up thread)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050?
Try setting these settings in the Nidia control panel
Set Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance
Set Threaded optomisation to Off
See if that helps

Hippo

Already set Power Man to max performance, now I set the Threaded optimisation to off, and let’s see how it goes.
So far, so good, very little drop outs since yesterday. Thanks for the info!

WHAT? And now the Yamaha drivers totally disappeared from the system???
I fired up Ableton Live 9, and it’s telling me that the drivers are not there. As a matter of fact, in Hardware & Sounds the Yamaha tool is not there anymore. Now I am really, really puzzled.

Thanks, Hippo! This worked for me. Things got a bit funky for me somewhere between updating my graphics drivers and updating to Pro 9.5.

In fact, I opened my browser and am typing this while playing a project and still not getting dropouts.

:slight_smile:

Chris

Seriously, why I cant` install beta drivers? Why my system says they not digitally signed no matter what I do?

Beta drivers are almost never digitally signed. This involves a registration process with Microsoft, which is costly and time-consuming, and thus not worth it for drivers that are only in the beta stage. You should be able to install the driver anyway though by acknowledging that you know that the drivers are not digitally signed.

Chris

I am running the beta drivers now with skip initial settings and base iso set to auto.
MSI X99 GTX1070 Windows 10 64

I tried all the nvidia settings and it made my gtx1070 run over 20c more than normal so I set everything back to default including having Physx installed.

I noticed drop outs without latency mon spiking.
Remembered I have been running latency mon since new drivers.
Turned it off and no drop outs.
Started it again and drop outs within 5 mins.

This is the longest I have gone without it dropping out (over an hour)
I even maxed out my internet as well as my video card without problems.

Latency mon always causes audio dropouts here, I think your supposed to use it as a diagnostic tool to find what could be causing problems before you started it rather than just leaving it on just in case.
20c more than normal is not that important its the actual maximum that is and with that card its 90C or more before any problems.
Hippo

This seems like it helped me too. THANK YOU! I didn’t get any errors for several minutes, and my DPC stayed under 70 with these settings :sunglasses:

I am on the beta 2 driver, but left the Base Period and ISO Extra Buffer set to ‘auto’, and did not check ‘skip Inital…’ - basicially I left it all at the defaults, and 128 buffer size.

Fingers crossed it stays this way.

Tried out the 1.10 Beta 2 driver today. Working well for me. Even manages 16 buffer size for playback and some VSTi recording for a small project.
This with Cubase 9.5, Halion Sonic, Groove Agent SE, Kontakt and Pad Shop Pro all running. Not much but I was just testing.

Probably won’t use that small a buffer normally as it loads up the CPU a lot and isn’t necessary for me.
Settings in the Advance panel were all default Auto.

I have been using 1.10.0.b2 for around a week now… still experiencing frequent dropouts in Cubase 9.0.30. It seems strange… sometimes I will start Cubase and have no problems at all, sometimes I will start and have dropouts right away. I can’t seem to pinpoint anything particular causing it.

Updated my NVIDIA drivers (388.59) today, will see if that changes anything.

Hi Hippo,

Thanks for this useful info.

• Setting “Power Management” to “Prefer Maximum Performance” in the NVIDIA Control Panel (3D Settings) appears to have addressed the audio dropouts in Cubase.
  • Setting “Advanced - ISO Extra Buffer” in Yamaha’s BETA driver to “2.000ms” has also significantly reduced the audio dropouts in other Windows applications. A lower value would still cause infrequent dropouts.

More testing is needed. I’ll update this message in due course.

I have updated a relevant NVIDIA support ticket and still waiting for NVIDIA’s response.

installed LatencyMon, launched and began to work, 10 minutes later appeared the following message (see screenshot). Tell me more details what should I do in windows 7 that all worked consistently?

Useful utility. Within 1 minute, Wdf01000.sys (Kernel mode Driver Framework Runtim, Microsoft Corporation) DPC routine reportedly took 6212Îźsec to return control of the CPU.

Within less than 10 minutes, another delay was presented by dxgkrnl.sys (DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation).

These are with NVIDIA 3D settings at “Prefer Maximum Performance”.

Which goes back to my earlier comment that this is an issue that Yamaha, NVIDIA and Microsoft (and potentially Intel, as it appears to be more prevalent on X99 systems) have to collaborate on, to address.

Your conclusion sounds unreasonable. LatencyMon is not a utility that’s somehow tailored to Yamaha USB-devices. It’s a general-purpose utility that’ll check your OS for latency problems. In your case, LatencyMon identified that two Microsoft OS components, one relating to the OS kernel, the other relating to DirectX, are causing latency problems. These problems have nothing to do with Yamaha’s USB driver. In fact, your screenshot proves that latency problems are caused by something that isn’t remotely associated with Yamaha, so I’m puzzled why you’d want Yamaha to help Microsoft or nVidia debug problems in Microsoft or nVidia products.

Furthermore, judging from the results of LatencyMon it’s reasonable to assume that your latency problems would manifest with any other USB-connected audio device, too, e.g. from Roland or Behringer.

I’m new to this forum, and I’m still puzzled why so many folks here seem intent to pin-point general OS latency problems to Steinberg’s UR devices, when even a very cursory search will clearly prove that this has nothing to do with Yamaha or Steinberg but can and will happen in absence of any Steinberg UR devices:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/extremely-high-dpc-latency-from-directx-graphics/c9cb07bd-83b6-446d-a898-48a67819472d?page=2&auth=1

https://www.google.de/search?q=x99+latencymon

That said, I can actually help you find the real culprit of your latency issues:

1. Your machine is built on the X99 chipset. I take it that at some point you were talking to a half-knowledgeable computer salesperson who claimed that “for professional use you should get a X99 mainboard because Intel’s X99 chipset is for professional users”. This is not true. The exact opposite is true. The X99 chipset is for “enthusiasts”, which is Intel’s marketing code word for “kids with rich parents who want an I Am Rich computer”. Mainboards with X99 chipsets are not expensive because they are better than the mainstream chipsets - they are expensive because of much lower volume. High volume means high scale means low cost. Low volume means low scale means high cost.

X99/X299 chipsets are meant for a tiny niche of enthusiasts, mostly gamers, who only care about PCIe lanes so they can cram as many GPUs as possible into a single computer. They are not optimized for real-time, they are not as tested as the mainstream chipsets, and mainboard vendors do not spend as much time validating their mainboard with various combinations of RAM, CPU, PCIe devices other than GPUs - or USB interfaces.

If you want a tested, proven and professional-level platform, chose the Q chipset line, e.g. Q87, Q97, Q170, Q270. This chipset is almost identical to the Z87/Z97/Z170/Z270/Z370 line from a performance perspective, but validated for mission-critical tasks, and actively supported in enterprise environments. Intel spends most of their validation efforts on the Q chipsets to make sure that they run as smooth as possible for the millions of business customers who depend on them.

1. You use a software RAID. RAID configurations were never meant to support real-time tasks. RAID is for average high-throughput (with “average” being the keyword here) and data safety, and especially software RAID configurations are notorious for huge latency spikes because of internal reconciliations or maintenance tasks. Your LatencyMon screenshots shows that spikes occur on the kernel level, i.e. the level where Microsoft’s software RAID is running. It is very probable that your RAID is causing latency issues.

@humbugger

1. Steinberg has not informed us that its products won’t work well with X99 systems,
  2. The problem predates deployment of RAID and it was confirmed even without it.
    and
  3. If Steinberg doesn’t care to collaborate with NVIDIA, Microsoft and Intel, to solve an issue that affects its products and its customers, then who will?

Furthermore, I’m not a kid, as a matter of fact I am a middle aged professional computer scientist who happens to have written Windows kernel device drivers in the past. Currently, I need the PCIe lanes and the 4x GPUs for deep learning applications. This is my workstation and I also use it for Cubase. Hence, I think that asking for a solution is the reasonable thing to do in my case.

Trolling me here isn’t really helping me or other Steinberg customers overcome the technical problem.

Kind regards

I have a General problem of the appearance of sharp noise from the speakers, maybe my UR824 is faulty? me it is very annoying that I constantly write about it, and they get no specific answers. Motherboard ASUS Z-97K, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, i-7 4790, 16 gb of RAM SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE THAT CAN HELP ME? Sorry for my English, is not my native language

@Nikolaos As it happens, I’m also a professional software engineer, having developed a number of commercial a/v applications. Hence me trying to help you out with issues that clearly stem from your particular choice of hardware and software. Your situation is not uncommon, although what is uncommon, very uncommon actually, is your claim that you are a professional computer scientist (your public CV does not mention any device driver development, by the way), and yet you are not able to investigate the matter properly. Anyway, I now realize you don’t want help. You just want to complain and point fingers at Yamaha/Steinberg engineers.

Normally I wouldn’t mind, but I get the impression that your persistent complaining here is taking away valuable development time from the fine folks at Yamaha/Steinberg which might be better invested in fixing real bugs instead of trying to replicate issues that originate in users like you who use a system that, regardless of the USB audio device attached, will never be suited to real-time audio processing in any sense.

Who is Nikolaos?

In any case, in my humble opinion it does seem that the few users that have issues are the minority and it is more to do with PC’s built on the inexpensive end or owned by those that do not have the knowledge to effectively troubleshoot the issues. That being said, I am surprised this is still an issue for any user of Steinberg products. It is really a tough call to place blame on any particular manufacturer or user. It just sucks that it is even an issue to begin with.

I suggest none of us get frustrated with each other. We will not move forward by calling out others. Let’s just try to move forward as a community so we can hopefully find a fix that works for everyone. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I tested with my system on this setting:

• Nidia control panel
    Set Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance
    Set Threaded optimization to Off
  • skip initial sample (v1.9.9)

It works pretty good so far. Havent got an drop out yet.

My system in detail: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phil_wc/saved/Ptt8dC
Win8.1