UR Series and usb

Lost of chat about firewire is superior to usb 2.0 and why the UR Series has usb. Look closely and you will find that the major hardware manufactures are coming out with ubs 2.0 instead of firewire, example Muto 896mk3 and others. It has to do with thunderbold which is fast as lightning. uha I was just about to buy a Mrx16 csx but a little research reveals all this to me. If you want to take a further look for your self here it is at the bottom of the page.

This is from intel.

Firewire seems to be deing a quick death.

Thunderbolt technology enables using the thinnest and lightest laptops and connecting to the extra power and performance of other devices when needed, using a single cable. Adding new performance devices is simple and easy—just plug and play—making Thunderbolt technology powerful and flexible.

Thunderbolt technology was specifically designed with PROFESSIONAL AUDIO and video applications in mind[/color], where the inherently low latency and highly accurate time synchronization features play a crucial role.
Thunderbolt technology for mobile

Enthusiast–level performance expansion, now with a laptop

With Thunderbolt enabled products, video editing and sharing using Intel® Quick Sync Video technology is even faster and easier.

Data transfers for backup, sharing, and editing are tremendously accelerated using Thunderbolt products, significantly reducing times to complete these tasks.

And Thunderbolt enabled products are compatible with existing DisplayPort devices so you don’t have to go buy a new display to take advantage of a Thunderbolt technology enabled computer.

Why would manufacturers move to usb2 because of thunderbolt? That doesn’t make sense to me.

I too am curious as to why they chose USB over Firewire. What are the advantages?

The best products don’t always win all the time. In this business it is all about support. Usb 3 is faster than usb 2 by a mile But lots of manufacturers are not currently supporting it. In the coming year we will see how that goes. I see the same thing with firewire. Thunderbolt is gonna take over as the next best thing because it was developed by intel and apple two dominate players in the business. I could be wrong but I think I’m right is that regard.

This thing is about selling new products.

Thunderbolt includes native support for both Firewire and USB. With the right adapter, we are supposed to be able to use our old devices by connecting them via the new interface. At the moment, however, the few adapters I’ve seen are very expensive, and I’m not totally sure they are fully supported by the operating systems.

Paolo

I find this interesting. The new RME interface has both firewire and USB. Nice!

Apple was the one to “initiate” the FireWire (IEEE 1394) and subsequently not including it on various host devices.

I don’t think that “Thunderbolt” per se, is the reason for this change, but rather a lack of inclusion on Apple devices and a heavy push for USB (2 & 3) from various interested parties. Marketing often wins, regardless of the consequences. This is also often unfortunate, but not always.

Hi have to agree with Elektrobolt. I’ve had Firewire interfaces for the last decade, and then I decided for an USB interface because of the lack of Firewire in the latest Apple sub-notebooks. The interface is also missing from cheap Win netbooks, that might be an inexpensive way of making a portable recorder (or mixer, in case Steinberg decides to add external mixing control to the UR line).

With modern processors, USB might be fast enough to manage the multi-channel audio data stream. I guess all depends, at this point, from the drivers and their efficency.

Paolo