UR22 cuts out intermittently

Dear Ed,

This has to be resolved soon, I cant work with this sound card, it sounds great but it cuts out all the time. How long do we have to wait?

Kind Regards
Trevor

Put my name in the hat of folks having the same issue

Iā€™m in this problem as well. Audio dropout at the same time of the indicator light flash.

I got the same problem and I have ur22 and asus z97-E motherboard. In contact with steinberg support they recently recomended me to by a new usb cable! That didnt work and since so many having the same issue they shouldnt give such a bad advice.
Just a thought.

This problem if the interrupt and can be solved by switching ports of external devices, it still nourish later. This problems affects all UR-series interfaces. Problem of 100% in the diver Yamaha. Or Yamaha solves this problem or recalling all user interface of this series will be followed by another set of lawsuits.

Another victim here. UR12 frequently drops out in Cubase 8 with just one MIDI track.

Own excellent USB controller))) great driver))) bla- bla-bla, but actually cuts - cuts - cuts - cuts. Many tracks spoiled. I am very angry!

"Extraordinary reliability assured by Yamahaā€™s proprietary USB controller and high-performance driver perfected by a dedicated team

I understand that the concepts behind the UR series are reliable operation, high-quality sound, and excellent cost performance. First, please tell us about the reliability concept. What kind of ingenuity went into the UR series to achieve reliable operation?

Akabane: To reliably run the audio interface, itā€™s essential to have perfect hardware (namely the USB controller) and software (namely the driver) is essential.

First, for the USB controller, the UR series uses a proprietary Yamaha chip. Most audio interface manufacturers use general purpose USB controllers, but using a chip made by another manufacturer limits the complete understanding of the internal structure, and therefore there is only so much one can do to tune it for reliable operation. In addition, being able to procure the chips cheaply is good, but because we manufacture mass amounts of products, using a chip by another manufacturer concerns us from a supply chain perspective. Taking these points into account, we concluded that we would need to develop the USB controller ourselves even if it would be somewhat challenging. Out of this came Yamahaā€™s own chip called SSP2, which contains a USB controller, DSP, and a CPU for controlling the entire chip.

And, for driver development, dedicated teams were set up for Mac and Windows. Finally, both Yamaha and Steinberg perform thorough operation tests. As such, the driver performance is continuously improving, and now we are confident that we are second to none when it comes to reliability.

A hardware that we can fully understand the inner workings of, excellent software made by dedicated development teams, and strong cooperation with Steinberg, the originator of the ASIO driver standard. These three elements are what make the UR series so reliable."

Iā€™ve tried everything suggested in this thread, but I am still getting cutting and cracking in the audio fed from the line out on my UR12. Iā€™ve narrowed the problem down to either the device driver or the device itself, and Iā€™m not waiting around for steinberg or yamaha ā€œengineersā€ to find a solution. I think Iā€™ll be getting a refund and going with a product from a different provider soon.

Hey there, I just bought one of these today, and had the exact same problem. Question, when you lose audio does the light on the front blink off even for a split second? Mine did. So I figured it wasnā€™t getting very good power, and swapped over to my front usb 3.0 rather than my rear usb 2.0, and now it works great. I hear people saying you shouldnā€™t use usb3.0 but I donā€™t see any issues here really. Hope this helps. Also if you donā€™t have a usb that will power it, you might want to look into a usb hub or youā€™ll just have the same problems with most interfaces.

The led has blinked, but I think when it does the interface cuts out completely rather than just causing crackling in the audio. I havenā€™t tried usb 3.0 and donā€™t have a way of doing so currently. I am using an appropriately rated power adapter with my interface, so I doubt a hub would change anything.

Well again, this is exactly what was happening with me. Iā€™d say goto walmart or something similar and buy a hub, if it works problem solvedā€¦if not you can just return it for your money back.

I have tried a couple interfaces before landing on the UR22, and Iā€™m glad I stuck with itā€¦this thing is hands down the best budget interface you can get. (I have used the M-Audio MKII and the Focusrite 2i2 and theyā€™re no where near as good. Those yamaha D-Pres are simply amazing) The only down side I have with the UR22 is that I canā€™t bypass the preamp, but this isnā€™t really a feature youā€™ll find in budget interfaces anyway.

No man. The issue starting from the first post is a completely different issue from what you are talking about.

There is nothing involving power of the interface here.

Seriously, this is a different issue you are discussing.

Sorry for your issues, but from this quote forward: It has nothing to do with the issues this thread is about.

Please post in another thread.

Hey Jimmy, this is the very first postā€¦while yes it doesnā€™t mention power issues, it is exactly the issue I was havingā€¦I ASSUMED it was a power issue when I was doing my own trouble shootingā€¦and bingoā€¦problem solvedā€¦so I thought it would be (and still think it is) a good idea to post my solution to the issue that THIS THREAD is about in hopes that it would help new people buying this interfaceā€¦I donā€™t know how else to tell you this?

Regular poster since page 1 here!
Itā€™s been hard to check as the dropouts are very brief and impossible predict but, having caught it by chance a few times, I can now say that my LED does NOT blink when the dropouts occur.
So yes it seems there have been a few slightly different issues occurring over the course of this thread.
But I guess as they all broadly fall under the umbrella of ā€˜UR22 cuts out intermittentlyā€™ then itā€™s all good.
However the oft voiced suggestions of ā€˜try a different portā€™ or ā€˜get a powered hubā€™ have not worked for many unfortunately, myself included.

I agree :wink:

Yes, you are correct. I suppose I shouldnā€™t be so critical.

There was a member who posted in this thread a while back with a Mac issue that was completely non related. It was removed/moved. I suppose I took it a bit far in this case.

So I do apologize SoundGuy364. Your topic is relevant here. Forgive me?

But I still say that this thread is mostly comprised of members who have issues with their particular systems and the UR series driver. I do hope they come up with a resolve for the main issue discussed here. I wouldnā€™t bother checking on this thread if I hadnā€™t gone through hell trying to figure it out with an interface that this issue has not been mentioned as having. I myself could be considered an outcast here as I do not have a UR22. So touche.

Typically, using a hub is never a good idea when using an audio interface. In fact using any USB controller along with any other streaming device is typically not a good idea. Best to have direct connection to a motherboard USB controller with nothing else in it. That is the only way I can run 24 tracks of audio via 2 UR824ā€™s and a cheap ADA800 for scratch tracks. If I try to connect an external drive via the same USB controller, dropouts occur. Bottleneckā€¦

Most of the issues here have not been resolved as it seems to be system specific. And even then, sometimes not so specific with same motherboards. There is a ghost lurking among UR22 usersā€¦

I do see that this thread can help others with similar issues, even though the problem may not be the same.

Cheers everyone!

No worries Jimmy and thanks, I also apologize if my responses seemed rude.

Another thing to look at perhaps is are you using an old school hard disk drive or solid state drive? Thereā€™s a chance these dropouts could be caused by a slow hard drive. Iā€™m not sure about other DAWā€™s but I know ableton has whats called RAM mode. This may have already been mentioned and sorry if it was.

Hello, Greetings to all! I have solved my issue and maybe it can help you too.

I was having these same issue with my UR12 when playing back sound. (No matter what sound or program) It would drop sound randomly, sometimes within seconds of each other and some times a little longer. My usb light would sometimes blink out when the sound drops, but sometimes it would not. It worked flawlessly on a laptop I have though but on 2 of my desktops it had these issues (both desktops were more powerful than the laptop).

What solved it for me was changing out the USB cord! I know it sounds silly but it worked. I first saw the suggestion here. Steinberg Forums
I didnā€™t buy a new cord but I had several in my studio. The first 2 I tried made the problem worstā€¦much worst! The last one I tried was from my USB hub and havenā€™t had a problem since. All Iā€™ve done so far is play back music but I will have a session this evening and get chance to test it out while recording.

I guess there are quality differences with USB cables. Iā€™ve always thought they were the same. Give it try and see if it solves it for you.

Good luck to everybody,
Skipp

Wordā€¦ All good man.

I can only speak for myself, but I had a completely new build with SSD OS/programs and new Seagate 1TB HDDā€™s for audio and samples/backup. I havenā€™t yet gone to SSD for project/audio files as I have heard that rewrite on them is limited and the speed changes nothing in regards to streaming audio. Plus, 4 backup HDDā€™s are much cheaper than the SSD alternative.

Any drive can fail and inevitably will at some point in time, though the cost of being extra ā€˜over redundancyā€™ with multiple HDD backup drives is just fine with me. They are really cheap now. In fact, I just started using external USB 3.0 cases with a new HDD for each individual project. I back that up to another HDD drive as the project continues. Plus I donā€™t have to wear out each ā€˜spinningā€™ drive by using it for multiple projects.

$50 here, $50 there. Worth every penny if one of those decides to explode.

I am still working on re-recording two projects that started 2 years ago from a platter failure. Actually two failed at the same time. It was the curse of one of the bands. My Lava Lamp bulb went outā€¦ lol