UR22 mkII - Audio dropouts problem

Hello!

I have UR22C card, but I think we have similar problems.
I’ve been busting my head with this usb interuption thing for a week, I’ve tried almost everything and I’ve found a solution, so I hope this will help some of you.

In my case, it was the motherboard or maybe the usb connections on it. I’ve got a new motherboard and now I get no errors, everything is working perfectly.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Have exactly the same problem when using my Radeon HD 7700.

But the audio fall outs was also present with the standard Windows drivers.

Have removed the card and use on board graphics.

Unfortunately I cannot run my two 32" monitors in even near 4k resolution as I want:(

1 Like

@bredahl yes, also for me the fall out are present, but with AMD graphic driver it come back between 30sec and 2min. Now one in 20 or 30 min, and for me is a good results.
But the error message about the Audio interruption due to USB remains…
I hope that this bug will be solved as soon as possible or someone tell us if it is an unsolvable issue.

Waiting for them to fix it could be a rather long wait I’m affraid. For me the problem has been there for 2 years.

As I see it I have 3 options:

1. Change the motherboard to one with sufficient on board graphics.
  2. Change the graphics card to a none AMD.
  3. Change the soundcard (Not sure if That would help since I fear that others might use the same drivers).

Of course those are not all options if you use a laptop

1 Like

Changed my Graphics card for an NVidia Quadro Card, that has 3 DP connection and run my screens just fine.

Have not had a single drop out since and the USB problem messages are all gone.

1 Like

SOLUTION, FINALLY!!!

Thank you @BenLochmann very much! You saved my life and a lot of hair.
I have UR12 (not UR22) and v1.9.8 works great without any audio drop, tested almost 3 days so far.
After reading this, I tried v.1.7.3 on my UR12 (not UR22 mkII). No audio drops anymore but v1.7.3 does not support UR12 so I had to try later version of the driver and v.1.9.8 is the answer.

I have been suffering from severe audio drops for almost a year with UR12. I noticed some audio drops when I connect second monitor so I thought nVidia and their drivers were the root cause. I updated everything including Steinberg’s USB driver. It gets worse and worse. However, older Steinberg’s USB driver solved it. crystal clear.

Here’s the link for v.1.9.8:
http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_hardware/Yamaha_Steinberg_USB_Driver/PC/1.9.8/YSUSB_V198_Win.zip

FYI, my system:
vga: nVidia GTX-1080
cpu: Xeon E5-2643 V3 dual
mobo: Asus z10pa-d8
ram: 32GB

hope this helps for UR12 users.

1 Like

My UR44C worked perfectly fine with Windows Home 10 for a year. Then I got a new computer (same OS) and the problem everyone is having here arose. I tried pretty much everything stated in this thread and nothing worked. On a whim, I grabbed a PCI USB card I had laying around and installed that. The problem went away for me when I started running the UR44C from those USB ports instead of the ones on my motherboard.

1 Like

Thanks for all the postings here. I tried the tip about downloading and installing the 2013 drivers (after uninstalling the 2.0.4 version), but couldn’t get it to work as they were not found on my system, so Cubase and anything else related to audio was still a no-no. However, on re-installing the 2.0.4 drivers, all is now working (so far, anyway). Hope it works for you!
(UR22 mkII)

Here is my 100%-Solution for the dropout-problem, maybe it works for some others too:

Since i changed my System from an i5-4600K to a Ryzen5-5600X (New Mainboard, CPU, RAM), reinstalled everything on WIN 10, updated drivers, tweaked the system etc. i had the named dropout-problems with my sounddevices.
Not ONLY but MOSTLY with my UR22. My onboard-audio was also affected, but much less intense.

So i tried this and that (Energy-Options, CPU-throttling etc.) and what fixed the problem was to reduce the RAM-Clock in my BIOS from 4000Mhz to 3933Mhz and also the FCLK from 2000Mhz to 1966Mhz (FCLK = Infinity Fabric Clock - a chipsetclock for Mainboards with Ryzen-CPUs. Set it to exactly the half of the RAM-Clock for best Performance).
Seems the Chipset/RAM/CPU/whatever was not able to work properly with the higher timings, even if everything else seemed to work fine.

So maybe you should try to Reduce the RAM/Fabric-Clock on your System too, especially with Ryzen-Systems and/or manual overhauled RAM-Timings.

Thats all the magic, now my sounddevices are back at work and the drops are gone.
Drivers are v2.0.4. No Problems with it.
Hope i could help some of you guys!

I was frustrated too. From Steinberg I didn’t get any help, never got an answer from the helpdesk, no feedback about the dropouts.

So I bought a new highend PC and installed everything new. But the dropouts were even worse than before. Then I throw away my Steinberg UR22 mk II and bought a MOTU M4. But without success. There were still dropouts approx.every 1-3 seconds.
That means, the source of the problem must lie somewhere else - in Windows.
In the meantime I installed a dual boot system. One of the systems contains Windows 10 Pro / 20H2 with all the administration tools like Microsoft Office, Adobe tools , Web tools, Scanner, Printer, Mail etc.
The other sytem contains only Windows 10 Pro / 20H2 and only the Steinberg applications (Cubase Pro, Wavelab, Groove Agent, The Grand, HALion etc.).

With this configuration I have absolutely no dropout problems.

Maybe this workaround helps you as well.

Kind regards,
Guido Kunz
dipl. El. Ing. / IT professional

Hi Guido,

Doesn’t that suggest that the problem wasn’t Windows but something specific to your installation ?

I really suspect this issue is related to in some way to Windows 10 not getting along along with specific chipsets of USB hardware.

• The problem can be eliminated by just maintaining a more stripped-down version of Windows, so perhaps some USB driver or setting is enabled/disabled when this is done.
  • Tweaks to core speed/timing-related settings in BIOS can eliminate the problem, which could have an affect on USB communications.
  • Just using a different USB chipset than the problematic one can solve the problem.

So to anyone having this problem, I highly recommend trying a USB PCI card that uses a different chipset than the one currently hosting the audio interface. If that does solve the problem, it’s a lot more convenient than running a completely different instance of Windows, and it’s a lot more reasonable than adjusting hardware speed/timing related settings in BIOS (Which isn’t really an acceptable solution to make a standard audio interface work, imo).

2 Likes

Hi Dr. Strangelove
I absolutly agree with you. There must be a combination of Windows and an application which causes the problem. But in the meantime I spent too much time for this problem that I don’t have the patience to do further investigation. With the workaround I can survive until the next installation of Windows.

1 Like

I have a gaming PC and I have very little programs installed. (a game and ableton live 9)
Do I need to deactivate different settings in my windows 10 instalation?
It’s clearly not Ableton’s fault because it happens to steinbergs native DAW or any other…
Maybe it could be services seen in task manager that need to be disabled?

Other software sometimes start worked deactivating those…

I agree.
An additional USB PCIcard is the easiest way to get things work.
And with a pricetag around 10-20€ its also inexpensive compared to all the other timewasting maybe-options…

1 Like

I think you should follow the suggestion of nic.stage and install an additional USB-PCI-Controller.
Its an easy and inexpensive fix for the problem.

If you have overclocked your machine you can also try to fall back to safer timings etc. - but thats probably not the favorite choice for a gaming-pc :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for the support!
Seems like a logical solution to buy an USB PCIcard!

I installed a USB PCI card as you recommended. Unfortunately it didn’t help.

Did it solve the dropout problem?

Hi everyone!
Try to change settings XHCI mode in your BIOS.
That helped me.