UR22 picks up PC noise

YO my dudes. I have made this USB static from the motherboard/GPU pretty much imperceptible unless my monitors (yamaha hs80m) or headphones (audiotechnica athm-50x) have the gain turned all the way up.

First…use balanced cables to your monitors. This help

But second…and a big second…do you notice the power supply switch on the back? Well use a wall plug to power the unit and switch over to 5vDC. This eliminates at least 95 percent of that static scratching noise that was driving me fucken crazy for months.

If I have any other advice I will let you guys know but try this if you haven’t already. It will be a huge improvement.

Orko.

OKAY MY DUDES…i have REALLY solved this problem now. Even though I switched wall power (which greatly reduced the amount of GPU noise) i was still getting some. SO here is my life hack. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. I opened up a usb cable…white green black red. white and green are data…black and red are 5v power. I cut the red and black and spliced them to another usb which I then plugged into a 5v wall charger/brick.

BOOOM…all gpu noise gone. amazing. Too bad no one makes a USB chord like this with data and 5v dc separated it would be perfect for audio applications. All the ones Ive seen only have a secondary 5v booster and keep teh 5v power on the data line.

if you need any tips on how to hack the usb cable feel free to message me here.

ORKO

I tried this, the interface won’t turn on. I connected the red and black wires that lead to the interface to another regular usb cable red to red black to black and plugged the data part of the usb in the computer and the power usb in a usb phone charger. Nothing happens. Made sure it’s set to usb power. The red black wires coming from the usb in the pc are left not connected. Did I do something wrong?

I got the same trick for another audio-interface having a terrible usb-noise: PROBLEM FIX!!!
… but…
After a month, win10 didn’t recognize the interface, zoinc!
Luckly, coming back to a normal USB-Cable my device starts to work again… with noise! :imp:
Even if this trick is a kind of right way, it’s also really dangerous for the hardware.

So I am thinking of purchasing one of the audio interfaces of the Steinberg-UR series just because each have the option to switch the DC-In from an external power supply, cutting away the PC +5v
Any suggestion?

In the past i’ve fixed these type of interference/chattering noises with a decent USB cable (By that i mean one with a thicker cables) and ferrite core/chokes on either end of the cable.

I had it fix several audio interfaces and a Roland FA Synth. Trouble is, i’ve got about 7-8 cables that all look similar but only 2 of them erradicate the issue, and i’m not sure what the difference is - perhaps each strand is shielded inside or something. But these cables have been wrapped with tape and i guard them with my life if anyone tries to ‘borrow’ anything! lol

That chattering noise is much different to the constant hum/buzz of a ground loop though, you can normally tell if it’s a ground loop by touching the (metal) casing of the device which is experiencing the noise and it lessens.

Thanks, I will try!

My noise is a ground loop type, that at 5.21 time:

The usb isolator in the video works only at rates of 1.5 Mbps and 12 Mbps, NOT with Hispeed needed for UR[C] series

That’s interesting, that’s not a noise i’d associate with ground loop but more general interference (RFI etc) - all Mic’s and preamps have a noise floor, as such, which can be drastically raised with interference.

But then i’ve only experienced ground loop noise with guitar - mainly because my guitar goes via an amp which is another source of mains, whereas the mic doesn’t - so it probably presents itself differently.

I don’t know exactly. Noise coming from PC activity, like mouse moving, data transfer, windows managing… in general traffic of Windows-messages.
More over I have some fix frequencies, the louder ones at 2756 Hz and 5512 Hz, clearly in harmonic relationship

That’s pretty annoying for you then.

I’ve always used Firewire devices and they’ve been brilliant over the years, the only time i’ve experienced such noises relating to the audio interface was with USB devices like the Focusrite Scarletts that i used on laptop.

They’re an absolute pain to track down and eradicate though, particularly when there’s a lot of devices that will ‘eradicate’ it… All cost money, But generally, there’s many devices which are only filtering out bands of audio as a bandaid. In that case you may as well just process on the input signal in Cubase if it yields same result.