UR22 problems - no-one taking responsibility!

:frowning: I’ll start this post by letting you know that I am not in the best of moods about the issues I’m having so my apologies if this comes across as being in any way angry!

Here’s my spec - Intel i7, 32MB RAM, Cubase Elements 7, Windows 8.1 Pro and a UR22.

I bought a UR22 7 months ago from Thomann. The unit worked fine and was recording nicely with Cubase Elements although Cubase Elements was crashing every time I attempted to close it! It DID record though so I was happy to live with the Cubase software glitch on shut down.

Then something happened…it might have been a Windows Update, the driver update for the UR22 to 1.8.3…who knows, but from that point on the UR22 wouldn’t record anything without peaking with the input volume almost at zero (Screenshot available at UR22 audio inputs recording at 20-25% level before peaking - UR Series - Steinberg Forums).

I contacted Steinberg support via My Steinberg and then, after hearing nothing for a week, decided to post into the forum here. At that stage I also contacted Thomann who said that I would not be eligible for a replacement but that the unit would be under their 3-year warranty for repair.

Steinberg support then eventually did reply and confirmed that, after taking a look at my screenshot, the unit was faulty.

So…I shipped it back to Thomann (I’m in the UK). 10 days later Thomann have been in touch to say that they cannot find any problems with the unit.

Here’s what I’m left with…

1. Steinberg confirming that the unit is faulty
  2. Thomann saying it isn’t
  3. No means of recording, or listening to anything other than with headphones
  4. £80 out of pocket

It’s not great is it?

My personal suspicion is that Steinberg have not yet ironed out issues with Windows 8.1 Pro and so I can’t help but feel a little guinea pig syndrome here. I purchased the UR22 in good faith because it said it was Windows 8.1 compatible but I’m now being told that because the fault can’t be replicated by Thomann, a fault that Steinberg have confirmed, I’ll have to be sent the faulty unit back!

Until when? Until Steinberg sort it out?

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or issues like this in general with Steinberg / Thomann? There seems to be finger-pointing going on here (Thomann - "it’s their fault, Steinberg - “no it’s not it’s theirs”) and I’m left without a device and out of pocket.

It’s just not good enough. Where do I stand?
NJ

Hi,

I have read your emails but I am not sure whether the device is still at Thomann? If it is not, let me know and I’ll set up a direct RMA for our service center bypassing Thomann in this case.
With all the tests you have done with other mics and interfaces, we should definitely investigate.

Could you send another mail to info including my name in the subject? Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!

Hi Ed,

The unit is still with Thomann. The reference is:
AW: RMA 1247719R Nathon Jones (6341241)

They are stating that there is nothing wrong with the unit however they have, today, confirmed that they are testing with Windows 7 and Cubase 7.5 yet I’ve already told them that we’re using Windows 8.1 Pro and Cubase Elements 7! :frowning:

Thomann have asked if I “…have deactivated the Energiemanagement for the USB slot” however when I spoke to Oscar Bonomi at Steinberg support he did not mention this. Do you know what this is about and if it could be the issue? If it could be the issue then why did Oscar ask me to send it back to Thomann before first checking that?

I’d appreciate you chasing this up for me Ed. I have been completely underwhelmed by Steinberg products since purchase. The Cubase software glitched straight out of the box and then the UR22 stopped working. As a result, I’ve completely lost faith in Steinberg. I’ve purchased your products in good faith yet I now have no means of recording audio or listening to audio other than with headphones and there doesn’t appear to be any quick resolution on the horizon.

I’d appreciate it if there was something you could do to get us back up and running whilst we wait for both you and Thomann to sort out what’s wrong with my NEW equipment.

Thank you.
NJ

I do hope I will not be left in a similar position.

Sent my UR22 back to Steinberg due to the noise issue. However they sent it back without repairing it. You may find this hard to believe but they said ‘as it’s not in the list of faulty serial numbers’ and as ‘it has a defect that is not just limited to plugging in a mic and enabling 48v’ and that ‘it wasn’t manufactured in a particular date range’ that a modification or repair couldn’t be provided!!!

I’ve arranged for it to be sent back again via DHL - here’s what I’ve attached to the delivery note:

Problem

NOISE!!! Present, mainly below 30hz. With condenser mic and 48v OR without anything connected ie. no inputs and with the preamps at zero!

==============================
Why do you have to fix it or replace it?

IT IS IRRELEVANT THAT THIS UR22 IS NOT IN YOUR AFFECTED SERIAL NUMBER RANGE. IT IS IRRELEVANT OF THE YEAR OF MANUFACTURE. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IS THE PURCHASE DATE AND YOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

IT IS DEFECTIVE. SO PLEASE FOLLOW YOUR OBLIGATIONS AND FIX IT OR REPLACE IT. I PURCHASED THIS BECAUSE OF YOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS ON YOUR WEBSITE AND THAT STEINBERG ARE A GREAT COMPANY.

IF THIS CANNOT BE MODIFIED TO BE NOISE FREE THEN PLEASE CAN YOU EITHER PROVIDE
A REPLACEMENT NOISE-FREE UR22, A NOISE-FREE UR44 OR A REFUND OF £90, DANKE Kalvin.

Steinberg’s Term and Conditions (Legal Terms | Steinberg):

Steinberg guarantees the product to be free from defects in workmanship or materials for a period of 2 years from the date of the original purchase.

The product must have been purchased from a supplier within the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
IT WAS PURCHASED THROUGH THOMANN.DE!!!

1 Like

Here is a snippet of Steinberg’s Terms and Conditions:

Our guarantee

Steinberg guarantees the product to be free from defects in workmanship or materials for a period of 2 years from the date of the original purchase. Steinberg undertakes, subject to the conditions listed below, to have the faulty product (or any part(s)) repaired or replaced (at Steinberg’s discretion) without any charge for parts or labor. Steinberg reserves the right to replace a product with that of a similar kind and/or value and condition, where a model has been discontinued or is considered uneconomic to repair.

Conditions

The original invoice or sales receipt (showing date of purchase, product code and dealer’s name) MUST accompany the defective product, along with a statement detailing the fault. In the absence of this clear proof of purchase, Steinberg reserve the right to refuse to provide free of charge service and the product may be returned at the customer’s expense.
The product must have been purchased from a supplier within the European Economic Area or Switzerland.

I don’t want to put a downer on things Kalvin but nearly 4 weeks later and I still haven’t received my/a UR22 back. :frowning:

Thomann said they couldn’t replicate the error, and then revealed that they were using a completely different operating system and a different version of Cubase - not very thorough is it?

So I contacted Steinberg direct and the unit was sent from Thomann to Steinberg for “repair”. Steinberg came back also claiming that they can’t replicate the error - I guess I must be making this sh1t up - but they did offer to send a replacement unit. They asked for my delivery address on 24th October but upon chasing them up today they’ve revealed that they still haven’t sent it and that it will still take a couple of days before it goes out. Seriously?

The whole thing sucks and I regret ever buying Steinberg products (I’ve got Cubase Elements 7 too!).
I should have stuck with my gut instinct, and the advice I was given, and bought a Mac / Logic.

You live and learn.
NJ

I don’t think the problem is your rig, i think the problem is the product…

I regret buying a UR22…

I want to buy an audio interface to go with my Yamaha mx49, Cubase Elements 7 and Sony i7 laptop. I had decided to get the ur22. But after reading some of these ur22 and ur44 posts, I’m thinking I need to find an audio interface that is a little more reliable than either ur model.

I recently switched to Cubase from Propellerhead Reason/Maudio.

I bought the UR22 a couple of years ago, having Cubase and Dorico, the promise was, being all of the same family it would work smoothly. Far from true. Almost every time I turn on my PC UR22 will not be recognized, have to reboot. (They will tell you of course it is W10 fault). If I want to run Sibelius by the side, half of the time it won´t work. And there is more…I would never buy it again.The sound is very good, but not always, there´s choppiness too, I read it is because of the USB 2 (USB3 devices should work better.) Think twice before buying this product!!!