UR22mkII mystery problem: stops being recognized during live video calls

I’ve been using Steinberg audio consoles for close to a decade now and recently I have been experiencing a very frustrating problem when it is used in conjunction with live video.

I have used my UR22mkII console plugged into my Mac computer to record hours and hours of audio podcasts without any problem. However, when I use it in the context of a live video call (e.g. Skype, Zoom, Zencastr), it will occasionally and with no warning cut off. Here’s what happens.

On my end, I stop hearing audio from the other participants through my headphones, which are plugged into the console. The sound suddenly comes out of my computer’s built-in speakers. The UR22 is no longer recognized by the video platform I’m using, so it switches to built-in speakers and built-in mic. I have to reboot the computer for the console to be recognized again. When the problem happens, the white “USB” light on the console, instead of being steadily on, is flashing.

On the other people’s end, they hear me looping for a few seconds, and then they hear audio from my built-in mic.

The “risk factor” for this problem really seems to be the use of live video. It has happened a few times using Skype (for live television interviews, which is a big problem). It has happened once using Zoom in the context of a virtual Christmas party. And recently, it has happened twice with Zencastr, a web-based platform for recording podcasts virtually, only when the video feed was on.

I am trying to figure out what is going wrong so that I can fix it. As it is, if I am to use live video, I can’t rely on my UR22.

Technical details below. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Computer most commonly affected: MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017), running macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)… although it has happened on a Mac desktop in the past.

Driver: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.5

USB Hub: none, the console is plugged directly into the laptop.

I managed to get an answer from Yamaha. It could be that my webcam derives too much power from a virtual USB bus, leaving too little for the console. I’ve been told to switch from USB power for the UR22 to 5V electrical power. I will try and see if it changes anything. Meanwhile, if anyone has had the same issue and wants to confirm, or if you have other ideas, let me know!