Ur22mkii Peak LED, minimal input gain?!

Hey all,

So not too long ago I picked up a UR22mkii primarily to record guitar and bass tracks with. I have been using it with Cubase LE Elements 9 that comes included with the purchase of the AI on my Windows PC.

The problem or issue I’ve been having is that the INPUT 2 gain (and likewise the Stereo IN channel in Cubase) is way too hot, even when the input gain knob on the interface is at its minimal setting. Even with the input gain knob at its minimal setting, the peak LED will flash/illuminate on the interface and audible clipping/distortion occurs. The Stereo In channel in Cubase is then impossible to get to below -10Dbfs without reducing fader, and normally peaks between -8.0 to -3.0 under incredibly light playing. Will peak and hit bus limiter (+6) under moderate/normal playing, and during palm mutes, other transients, etc.

I have used 5 different instruments…2 passive electric guitars, 1 passive electric bass, 1 active (EMG) electric guitar, and 1 acoustic guitar (piezo with preamp). I connect all guitars via 1/4" TRS cable directly into the interface. Active instruments I connect on INPUT 1, and the passive instruments I’ll connect on INPUT 2 (with Hi-Z switch). This issue really only occurs with the passive electrics on INPUT 2.

With active instruments on INPUT 1, I find I need to set the input gain knob between 8 and 11 o,clock to get between -18 and -12Dbfs on the stereo in bus in Cubase. The passive bass on INPUT 2 I usually have to set between minimum and 9 o’clock. If I turn the INPUT 2 gain knob to 9 o’clock with one of the passive electrics, the peak LED will almost be constantly illuminated during normal playing, and the signal sounds terrible, fuzzy, clipped, and distorted. That is with the Hi-Z switch enabled.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this should not happen, right? Any insight here is much appreciated. Is my AI faulty?

Thanks for reading.

Donˋt electric guitars and basses have volume knobs anymore…?