UR242 Not Recording Guitar

I’ve been using Cubase Elements 8 for a little over a year; just upgraded to 9 and love it. For Christmas I got the UR242 so that I can record vocals and guitar into Cubase.

So far I have not been able to get my guitar to record (I haven’t tried voice yet). So far I can only monitor the sound using the headphone jack, and it seems to work fine. I can hear everything and any effects I’ve applied, but every time I try to record, nothing gets recorded.

Tools and driver appear to be installed properly; Guitar is plugged into the front, MC/Line jack with the button turned on for input one Hi-Z. I have turned on “record enable” everywhere I could possibly find it, and Cubase appears to be picking up the sound because I can see it in the mix console.

I am very new to all of this so any help would be appreciated. I didn’t see anything else in the forums that seemed to address this particular issue; a lot were focused on not being able to hear, but it would record…mine seems to be the opposite.

I have gone through the manuals, but I’m sure there’s some setting I’m just overlooking. Thanks again for any suggestions!

:slight_smile:

Have you followed these general steps…

1. You have chosen the ASIO driver for the UR242 in the VST Audio System menu.
  2. In the VST connections menu (Input tab) you have created a mono input bus that corresponds to the UR242 front 1/4" jack connection you are using.
  3. In the VST connections menu (Output tab) you have created a stereo output bus that corresponds to whatever connections you are using on the UR242 for output monitoring.
  4. Working with a Cubase mono (or stereo) audio track (inspector section), you chose the input bus created in step 2 and the output bus created in step 4.
  5. You have activated the audio track “record enable” function so you can record on it and and the track “monitor” function so you can hear what you are recording.
  6. You pressed the transport “record” button to start recording.
  7. You have adjusted the volume (or gain) controls on the front of the UR242 to get sufficient recording and monitoring levels. These would be a gain control knob for the track input and knob(s) for the “main” and/or “headphone” output level.
  8. In Cubase you have adjusted the audio track and stereo out volume as necessary to record and hear it.
  9. You disabled the audio track “record enable” and “monitor” functions to hear what you recorded.

If you followed the above steps and you still can’t record please report back with some more detail.

Good luck and have fun :wink:

Regards :sunglasses:

Thank you for your help!

I finally got it to record by creating an empty project instead of the project template suggested in the instructions. I’m still not sure what the problem was there, but it seems to work fine when created from an empty project and adding an audio track.