UR28M: is the "dm" function correct in Input Settings Window

I’m having a hard time understanding it to be working the way they say it does on Page #19, Item #9:

The “dm” icon indicates the position from which the audio signals for monitoring will be output when turning on Direct Monitoring in the Device Settings in Cubase.

If that were true, how could I hear REV-X in my tracking headphones (with Direct Monitoring on), since the “dm” icon is always “upstream” of the REV-X icon?

Hello Alexis,
been a while eh? :laughing:

In the Hardware routing diagram as shown on page 19 the monitoring signal is always from the little triangle at the top through to the triangle at the bottom and always includes the RevX if it is activated. The Effect Insert location (8) is by far the most important control here indicating the tap point for routing the signal to the DAW which you see always bypasses the RevX. The DM (9) is best understood when you equate it with the little speaker (or monitor) icon in your Track in Cubase - this is the point where this signal is taken for Direct monitoring in Cubase, and again always before RevX.

Thank you, BriHar!

I will have to think more about that … I am listening in the headphones using direct monitoring and hear the ReV-X, for reasons you explain. I need to figure out how it would be possible to hear direct monitoring without the RevX, even with RevX activated, since the “dm” is tapped before RevX.

I’tll hit me in the shower or something … so thanks for the explanation!

Sounds like you’re thinking yourself into a logical corner. You are using direct monitoring, and since RevX is a part of that direct monitoring, and you have it engaged, you’re going to hear it. It’s like going into a room and saying you don’t want it heated, but you turn on the heating anyway.
If you turn off Direct monitoring then you won’t hear the RevX, and that will kind of be what you are trying to hear.

I know trying to get your head around the details can sometimes be very mindnumbing, but I’m glad to see that you’re taking the time to really understand it, many don’t and get really baffled. The UR28m is unlike any of the other interfaces in it’s family and deserves to be looked into a little deeper.

Well, thank you for your many explanations, extremely helpful!

I’ve got it up and running just as I want it currently … I’m sure as/if I expand my set up I’ll need to use more of its functions, but at least I’ve done some legwork to start, it won’t be so painful then as a result … hopefully!

It’s a fun interface, besides!

:slight_smile: