UR44 input not communicating with Cubase 12

Interfacing Steinberg UR44 with Cubase 12. The UR44 connects perfectly. It becomes the audio for the computer. Groove agent sounds route through the UR44 to the monitor. The problem is the inputs. I have followed all of the tutorials and forums I have found relating to this issue. I am trying to input a bass through UR44 Input 1. Under Audio Connections it shows up as UR44 Input 1, mono, and the device is recognized. Under Audio Systems, the UR44 driver is selected, and all ports are checked as “active”. Yet, when I add this line to record it, turn on the record enabled and the monitor button, there is no signal from the bass (it isn’t the cable, or the active pickups on the bass, they work on an amp, no problem). I am at a loss for why it won’t pick up a signal from the input of the UR44. The input gain is turned up. The speaker works otherwise. But, Cubase doesn’t pick up anything. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Are you on Windows or Mac, please?

If you are on Mac, make sure Cubase has enabled Mic in the System Preferences, please.
Open macOS System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone. Enable Cubase here.

Do you have Hi-Z enabled on the UR44, please?

Windows 11. Hi-Z is off (I am trying a bass with active pickups, or a Shure SM48, which doesn’t require phantom power, but I have tried it with the phantom power on and that didn’t work either). I have also tried unplugging the usb cable from the UR44 and just running the UR44 output straight into my aux-in on bass combo amp, and that doesn’t work. If I plug the usb back in, the computer sounds then routes through the UR44 to the bass combo amp, though. So, I know the UR44 is getting signal from the computer and can play that through a monitor. It is the line in (all of them) that is not recognized at all, even by just plugging the output for the line (or the main output) into a speaker that should be receiving a signal. I am worried there is something wrong internally.