UR44C, dspMixFx, and Line Output routing

New UR44C owner here.

Would it be possible to make the two line-out pairs addressable directly, breaking them from their “permanent” routing? I’d really like to be able to use one of those output pairs, coupled with an input pair, as a send/return for an outboard FX unit.

The best I’ve come up with so far is to use the second headphone out instead of the line outs, treating Mix 2 as sort of a send bus … but surely there is a better way?

Well, this is the way to do it.

I don’t understand what you call a “permanent routing”. The Line Out2 output is setup by the Mix2 mixer and you can route anything to it independently, as a send bus, then use In5/6 as returns.
Whatever you are sending today on the 2nd headphone jack you can send to Line Out2.

I think part of the problem I had was understanding the two mixes and how to control what gets fed in to them such that I don’t end up with a feedback loop with my FX send. In dspMixFx, I had to drop the 5/6 input into mix 2 down to remedy the feedback. Once I figured that out and that the signal from my daw came in to dspMixFx from the “daw” input (who knew?), all was well.

The “permanent routing” comment was me not understanding the mixes, what was sent where, and how to manage it all. It was mostly related to how the line outs are tied to the mixes.

Think I’ve got it all sorted now. Thanks for the help, all!