I’m going to try and be as thorough as possible, just note that I’m a beginner when it comes to hybrid mixing. Thanks for reading and for any help or pointers you’ll be able to give to me.
My home studio is composed with :
- a Steinberg UR816c audio interface;
- a 48 point Samson S-patch plus;
- One Klark Teknik KT-2A and one Klark Teknik 76-KT (respectively LA-2A and 1176 clones);
- One ART pro MPA II;
- two Yamaha HS7 monitors going out from MAIN OUTPUT.
My goal here is to be able to use the two outboard compressors as insert effects to affect already recorded tracks, then print them once the effect is applied and I’m satisfied with it.
Current connections :
- All UR816c outputs are connected to the back of the patchbay (upper row) - normalled (5-12);
- Both ART preamp outputs get into the back of the patchbay (those work fine) outs 1 and 2, upper row as well;
- KT-2A output goes into the back of the patchbay (top row) output 22, same thing with its input that goes into input 22 (bottom row). Patch is set as ‘trhu’ for this one;
- Same principle with 76-KT, only with in/out 24.
In Cubase pro AA External effects, I have set a send to my 76 from OUT 1L, and a return to input 7 (those are all normalled).
Now to the problem, when I turn to the front of the patchbay and connect my 1L output (patch 4, top row) to my 76 input (patch 22, bottom row), then my 76 output (patch 22 top row) to my steinberg input 7 (patch 3, bottom row, normalled), I get a very high pitched noise (which I’m assuming is a feedback loop) as soon as the jack is plugged into the input 7.
I can see why this would cause a feedback loop, however I’m still not sure how to connect it properly.
All cables are TRS if that helps.
Thanks for reading !