UR824 analoge inputs question

Hi,

Maybe a dumb question, but i have to be sure about this:
The UR824 has 8 Analogue inputs. Does this mean you can only hook up 4 instruments (2 analogue stereo outputs per instrument) or are those inputs stereo inputs?

Hi There

That is correct, they are mono inputs only, so 4 stereo external instruments would be the limit

Best Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you!

wil

Hi again Wil

What I didn’t add is that the ADAT inputs work very well and you can add inputs(2 lots of 8 i you want) obviously at a greatly reduced price compared to buying another UR824, I have a Focusrite Octopre which gives me an extra 8 inputs which can also use the onboard input effects. (you are still limited to 8 in total but you can decide which 8 inputs, the reverb send is available to all inputs)

Best Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was aware of the ADAT function but i was hoping that one ur824 had enough analogue inputs for me.
At the moment i have an Edirol UA-101 which has also eight analogue mono inputs and a digital output connector. This optical output only works at 96khz or lower. I am thinking of buying the ur824 but then i have to be sure if i can use the ur824’s ADAT input for the Edirol optical output.
I think it is possible but i am not sure.

Best regards,

wil

Hi Wil

I just had a look at the Edirol unit and it looks like the Adat I/O is only available on channels 9 and 10 (of the UA-101) which wouldn’t help you very much, you could post about this issue as well, someone is bound to know something.

Best Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks again. It is now a lot clearer for me. I am thinking of buying two UR824 or as you mentioned one UR824 and a Focusrite Octopre.

Best regards,

wil

Hi Wil

The Focusrite is really nice BUT, two UR824’s if you can afford it, with all the onboard processing (16 compressors guitar amps, 2 reverbs) would be REALLY nice and apparently they work together seamlessly!!

Best Regards

Dave

Dave, would you compare the sonic qualities of the UR824 vs the Octopre for us? I’m surprised by the high quality of the UR, so I suspect it could be even better than the Focusrite Sapphire series.

Apart for absolute quality, I guess sonic variety could be useful in some cases (different instruments), while homogeneous sound could be in others (orchestra/choir recording).

However, at the latest orchestra recording we had four Sytek channels (with two different pairs of opamp sets), the UR824 preamps, and an RME Fireface. It was funny mixing them for the different individual sections or soloists.

Paolo

Hi Paolo

In my opinion, the UR’s pre’s are slightly, and I do emphasize slightly, better than the Octopre’s, (although the Octopre’s metering is better) that indefineable bottom end “thing” is a little more “there” with the UR, don’t know if this makes sense:? I haven’t used any really high end stuff so my experience is slightly limited, but the UR is certainly the best interface+pre’s that I have used

Best Regards

Dave

Dave, thank you very much. You were very clear in describing the sound differences between the two. I agree that those meters on the front panel of the Focusrite are very interesting, especially when recording loud sources.

Paolo