UR824 in Windows passes mic signal to speakers

Hi, I’m using Windows 10 as my main OS and Cubase 9 as DAW.
In Cubase everything is ok. But when i close it, it seems that interface go into direct monitoring mod and letting mics signal through the system.
That would not be a problem but my main mic is in front of me and when I forget to turn down the gain on input before I close the DAW there will be some strong feedback because of that. I couldn’t find any options in UR824 control panel to stop that. I tried also in windows control panel for sound to search for something but i didn’t have luck.

Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?
Thank you in advance!

It would be nice to be able to save a configuration for when the ASIO driver is in use and a separate configuration for when using the Windows driver.

I thought, for others benefit that might be considering the UR44, I would mention that, in fact, the dspMix app only affects the setup within Windows. Once I launch Cubase, everything is controlled from within Cubase and any changes in the Cubase configuration do not seem to affect the Windows configuration.

What you could try is solo the Daw channel in DspMix app and leave it like This. This will effectively disable the direct monitoring.

This shouldn’t matter when using Cubase, because all the settings are managed by Cubase itself, but after quitting it should pick up the settings you have in DspMix and hopefully not picking up the sound from your microphone until you unsolo the Daw channel in DspMix app.

I tried sliding fader all the way down and muting the channel in DspMix but it still passes into monitors.
I also tried disabling audio inputs in windows control panel but that also didn’t work.

I did some more experimenting and here is what I found…
Firstly, after thinking about it, I decided the UR SHOULD pass the input signals to the speakers even in the Windows drivers. After all, it is not advertised as only an ASIO capable audio input conversion device. I am sure there are applications that work directly with Windows (Audacity, for example?) and why wouldn’t the user want to be able to pass those signals to an application to record, edit, etc., in that application. Or, just play guitar over the computer with the built in dspMix amps and effects. It does put some responsibility on the user to ensure microphone inputs, etc., are managed properly in order to prevent feedback loops, etc. So, I have no issue with the UR passing the inputs to the monitors in Windows as the dspMix Mixer is set up.

After another look, I found that the input gain knob, on the front of the UR, did, in fact lower the input level of the channel, it just did not completely silence it, which brings me to my next discovery and question.

My guitar amplifier has an emulated speaker output to send directly to the audio interface. The connection on the amplifier is the female end of an XLR jack. So, I connected an XLR microphone cable from the amplifier to the Input No. 1 (XLR) on the front of the UR44. Reading the manual, it seems to indicate that an XLR input is treated as a MIC level input in all cases and input channels and is expecting -52dBu through -8dBu but I assume the amplifier outputs a line level signal (I couldn’t actually find anything about it in the manual). That seems to explain why I can still hear the guitar with the input gain at minimum.

So, the question I have now is…
Should I get a cable that goes from the male end XLR (to plug into the amp) to a balanced TRS 1/4" and plug it into the phone jack on one of the MIC level inputs of the UR44? I works fine with the XLR cable into the UR now and, as far as I can tell, the main difference would be where I would need to adjust the input gain knobs to get the right signal level. My gut is telling me it really doesn’t matter as long as I adjust the gain appropriately.

This worked for me (UR44). Are you sure you adjusted the level in the mix that is going to the monitors?
I don’t know about the UR824 but the UR44 has two mixes. Mix 1 goes to the main outputs.

I don’t have any problem with possibility to pass the sound but I don’t want it to be passed all the time and as default option. If you are using some software in windows that is not using asio driver you will get duplicated sound. One monitored through the software it self and one through windows directly.