UR824 Suddenly stops playing audio

If it worked, possibly yes.

Paolo

Just a hint on a possibile cause of the audio stopping (on both the Mac and PC): USB energy saving, of which the drivers could not be aware of.

Some USB circuits go to sleep as soon as there is no activity on the bus. So, in case you are using the UR, and you make a pause to do something else (not involving audio), the USB port it is connected to could go to sleep. When you want to play sound again, the USB comes out of the sleep mode, but the UR driver does not know this sleep/awakening has happened.

Even worse: you might set your PC to sleep, while the UR is still on; the Standby button start to flash, advising for the broken communication. At this point, you might leave the UR off, and let it go to sleep using its internal power manager. What will happen when the PC is awakened? Is the driver aware of the sudden lack of communication?

These are things I’m planning to test, and that I suspect are the right direction of investigation.

Paolo

That sounds exactly like your issue.

I couldn’t be happier with UR824. No issues whatsoever.

If you need help on disabling USB suspending watch the attached video.
How to disable USB Power Suspending.gif

Matthew, I would love it was just my issue, because this would mean the problem could be solved with some efforts on my side. It is, as it seems, a common issue, as you can read in this forum.

The instructions you kindly posted are referred to Windows, and I’m on a Mac. There are no equivalent operations here, since the system pretends to control how devices are managed. But this should not be relevant to my situation, since I always use the UR with the computer connected to the power supply.

To be safe, I also tried resetting the USB ports with the methods described here:

but the issue reappeared. I also tried to connect a different USB device (a, USB-powered drive) to see if the USB port was working, and it was working.

The system log shows that the audio driver is disabled, not the USB port. Switchig to the internal audio system re-enables the audio. Selecting the UR again does not solve the issue.

With the MOTU audio interface I used before it could happen that the audio interface was not recognized after some app’s crash. Relaunching Logic did reset the driver, and the interface started working again, with no need for a reboot. With the UR, Logic freezes, and Cubase cannot make it work again.

Paolo

That’s great thanks.
I just ordered a Rain ION anyway, so hopefully computer woes will be a thing of the past.