UR824 TOOLS bricked iMac?

So I’ve been setting up a completely fresh iMac (27" i7, Catalina). Installed Cubase, Wavelab, Dorico, my usual plugins and everything was absolutely solid and working great. Nothing else on it at all - this is a dedicated DAW machine.

I just downloaded and installed the latest TOOLS / driver for my new UR824 (it’s brand new, never plugged it in before). Installation finished, asked to reboot… now the iMac won’t restart - it hangs on the white progress bar. It won’t even restart in safe mode! It’s definitely this install that’s caused it - I had restarted the iMac successfully right before installing.

This is my first foray into Steinberg/Yamaha hardware (from Presonus) and so far I am very unimpressed. Has anyone else had install problems like this (esp. on Catalina) and any ideas how I might get back the hours of work I’ve just put in getting this new machine setup and installed? At the moment, as it won’t even start in safe mode, I think my only option is to reformat and reinstall the OS and everything else from scratch…

Grateful for any help / ideas…

Cheers,
David

Have you reset pram? Tried using Recovery or Diagnostic mode?
see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Yes I’ve reset SMC and PRAM. I can boot to Recovery mode but not normally or into Safe mode. Basically the Mac is running the final bit of the installer on restart and that is hanging (apparently bootinstalld still runs in safe mode…)

Ok just updating this for anyone else who has the same issue (or is installing UR824 on Catalina). I got to the install logs via target disk mode and the install.log shows that the driver kernel extension was ‘rejected due to system policy’, amongst other errors. I got the iMac booting again by reinstalling Catalina from Recovery mode (but not reformatting, so luckily I don’t have to reinstall all the software) - this removed the sticking Yamaha/Steinberg installer from the reboot cycle.

I achieved a successful install by disabling the gatekeeper (run ’ sudo spctl --master-disable’ from the command line) to disable some of the nagging security warnings, and unplugging absolutely everything except the keyboard and mouse (to be fair, it does tell you to do this in the installation instructions pdf…) before installing the latest TOOLS and then updating the driver to 2.0.4.

The UR824 arrives on Tuesday - I’m looking forward to checking it out!

Anyway, I hope that may help someone else sometime!

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Ok, the UR824 arrived and hooked up fine with those drivers. It’s been solid through a couple of days’ testing. It’s a great unit and just what I need for now - I chose it because I can expand it upwards or downwards (i.e. it may become an 8 I/O expander for an AX4 or I may get another to add 8 I/O to the UR824- I previously had an A&H QU-32 as my interface so I’m used to 32 inputs). Cubase integration is great (but please Steinberg - a button in the console somewhere to enable/disable direct monitoring without menu-hopping?!).

So yes, very happy with the UR824. Just watch out installing on Catalina!

Cheers,
David

1 Like