Usage of Dorico 4 and Cubase 12 at the same time

Hi Daniel, There has been a lot of back and forth over the years about bringing the two apps closer together, but it appears that this idea is somewhat defunct, and probably rightly so. Dorico should be one thing and Cubase another. They will never have the full functionality of the other; both have their specialities, strengths and weaknesses.
What we need in my opinion, is a ‘bridge’ between the two apps that enables them to be synced or locked together in a really robust way. This would be a game changer. The TXL timecode plugin does enable the programs to run in sync, but tempo changes have to be transferred manually from the master to the slave. I can’t remember whether ‘Rewire’ was similar, but in any case, if we had that type of functionality we could use both programs more effectively at the same time. Passing midi tracks back and forth rather than dragging and dropping might also be part of the ‘bridge’ function, but having the two run almost as one would open up so many additional work flow improvements. We would use both apps to their individual strengths and Dorico would no longer necessarily need audio tracks for example. (Not sure whether that’s in the plans, but it has been mentioned on occasion). Yes, as a consumer you would need to invest in both apps, but the payoff would be so worth it.
I started out with Cubase in the late 80’s with an Atari computer, but switched to Logic for many years. More recently, because of Dorico, I switched back to Cubase, but am still not able to use both apps together in a really convenient way and without a lot of fiddling about. A robust bridge between the two would solve this, so I hope this can give you some insights into what would be (imho) most useful in bringing these two wonderful pieces of software together.
Best, Andy

1 Like