USB Dongle revelation!

My long Cubase 3 dongle started working intermittently about a year ago. Replaced it with the new one and it may have had a mild improvement on startup. But for several months now it takes over 30 seconds just to scan the vst3s. Wish Steinberg hadn’t removed the visual run through of loading so I could see if there was a particular plugin holding things up. Such a simple feature could save an hour of diagnostic restarts.

Shouldn’t one expect Steinberg to take a position on this?
Because if the observations are correct, it would only be beneficial for Cubase acceptance

This…

USB connectors (and all other) have a limited amount of insert “cycles” - so USB connectors will fail especially if they are unplugged often. You simply wear down the copper contacts.

I always treat my USB connectors (and all other connectors) with DeoxIT D5 contact cleaner and protection spray. It does help a lot. It works wonders on guitar plugs etc as well if you gig a lot.

So if you have connectors you use a lot - or you sweat when you plug/un-plug (gig?) - use a lot of high quality contact cleaner. And sweat causes corrosion and salt deposits - the salt deposits will be deposited inside the “female” part of the connector every time you plug and unplug. That salt plus humidity will escalate corrosion in that end as well.

Just swapped my old V2 for a new V4 and in my case there most certainly IS a difference.

Graphics and MUCH snappier now and C10 loads and exits quicker.

A bit annoyed on the one hand that i’ve just forked out for a new dongle but pleased about the improved performance i’m getting now.

It was the same experience for me when I bought a new dongle last year. However, I still cannot change to another project without shutting Cubase down. If I do change the project within Cubase it will eventually crash. I’m sure it has something to do with holding onto memory.

This is probably a dumb question but, does the dongle have to be ejected (after quitting Cubase) like an external drive?

I think you should keep it plugged as much as possible… and at minimum plug it into the same port every time…

and yes for me too, the new dongle is night and day performance over my dongle from 2004. Cubase starts so much faster, and no problems shutting down anymore

That’s certainly doable since I don’t work on the go yet. Thanks for the quick reply.

in the pas 6 years I replaced my dongle about 3 or 4 times and now looks like will have to replace it again.
that’s around $200 I spent just replacing dongles.

these hardware dongle creates too much issues for us legit users.
Ironically,
Software pirates that use cracked cubase 10 with dongle emulator don’t have these elicenser issues that we legit users have.

This is absolutely false.

For laptops, you could consider my solution and put it inside where it can’t get lost. It just requires a free Mini PCIe port in the laptop and an adapter.

How can you tell which dongle version you have? And how much did yours cost matjones?

That’s really cool. Too bad I can’t put it in my Macbook. lol

I had ilok longed than steinberg elicenser, never had an issue with ilok, but had many issues with steinberg elicenser

Steinberg needs to offer a software licensing method, so that a dongle is not needed. Now we are in an era where USB-A ports are no longer offered on many laptops, including all MacBooks. So an adapter is required with the USB-C ports that are now common. And it’s also common that the number of USB-C ports is very limited on a machine. The USB-C port and jack do not offer as much physical structural support as the USB-A ports did, meaning that there is further risk of a dongle getting knocked off or causing wear on the port over time - especially if there is a USB-A to USB-C adapter connected in between.

The vast majority of DAWs do not require a dongle. There should be a software licensing option for Cubase.

Hi everyone
I’m taking this subject up again, because I’m still not absolutely shure, though there are indications in the thread:
Will the shift from 2. generation to 4. generation provide any improvement?

Referring to this https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115001652690-USB-eLicenser-revisions-dongle-key-
it seems that there is no technical difference between 2., 3. and 4. generation - only differences in size and colour.

Anyone having another experience?

I’m still using my dongle from Cubase SX. Waiting a few extra seconds is much better than paying $100 for a new dongle! F#*K dat! I gotta save my $$ for .5 upgrades. ((:

Hey silhouette,
I experienced the same issue on my windows machine. Here a certain plug-in was causing the problem. Whenever I used “Britson Bus” or “Britson Channel” in a project, I had to shutdown Cubase/ Nuendo in order to load another project. If I didn’t cubase would crash. Maybe you this helps you. The same plug-ins causing aren’t cuisine any problem on my Mac. The support couldn’t figure out, why.
I just saw your post and thought should share my experience.