USB Keyboard Recommendation for Cubase 10?

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good USB controller Keyboard to use with Cubase 10? I’m looking for something that maps the in-built sliders and buttons into the Cubase mix console, transport panel etc. Some keyboards I’ve been looking at also have in-built pads, so is there a model that allows these to work with Cubase chord pads, for example?

I currently have an M-Audio Oxygen 49 (3rd Gen) keyboard but this doesn’t seem to allow the controls to be mapped to Cubase (unless anyone has managed to do it somehow?) . Some other keyboards I have looked at also don’t explicitly state whether it can be done or not. Two i’ve looked at are: Nektar Impact LX49+ 49 and M-AUDIO Oxygen 49 MK4.

Many thanks!

When I get a new MIDI controller, I will definitely be checking Novation out. I read good things about their DAW integration via their Automap software. Plus the hardware is pretty nice.

https://novationmusic.com/keys

https://novationmusic.com/automap

Don’t know your budget: but as you mentioned the Nektar Impact LX49+ (which I have had) how about the new Nektar T-models with Nektarine software? I now have the Nektar P1 (the mapping is too complex for me) and waiting for the T1 with Nektarine. So I am curious if anyone uses the Nektar T-series and is willing to share their experience how/or if the Nektarine software works as easily as Nektar videos shows with CB10.

A few questions for you:

1. What budget are you working with? You mentioned NI Impact 49+, by which I can assume that you’re comfortable with a $100-$200 budget range at least

2. What do you want to do with the controller? Or rather, how important are pads, faders, and knobs to you? Do you want just a keyboard? Or do you also want to have a good focus on the other controls?

I’d avoid M-Audio. Have personally had some bad experiences with them, especially with the quality of the keys.

If outright Cubase integration wasn’t your goal, I would have recommended Akai. They usually make the best all-around keyboards

For Cubase integration, however, my no. 1 recommendation is Nektar. Their Panorama P4 and P6 have fantastic integration with Cubase. Bonus that it also looks absolutely stunning.

The only problem is that it might be outside your budget. If you can stretch your budget a bit, it would be the best option.

Another keyboard I’ve been recommending lately is the Arturia KeyStep. Decent keys but works great as a controller for external synths.

Outside of these, go with Akai. Works well enough with Cubase and they have a huge range so something might fit your budget

1 Like

Hi, a remark to @jackfallradesedo’s advice.
Don’t mistaken with those models: P4/P6 and T4/T6. The Nektor Panorama P1, P4 and P6 are the older one’s. Nektar now offers the Panorama T4 and T6. I guess with the more flexible software named ‘Nektarine’ it should be more in depth integration with Cubase. That’s what Nektar told us on their website. I haven’t read any reviews if it flawesly works with CB10?

I’m also in the market for a new controller keyboard.
I’ve narrowed it down to either a Nektar Impact LX61+ or a Arturia KeyLab Essential 61.
I’ve been doing a lot of research and it seems both of these intergrate well with Cubase Elements 9.5.
Is anyone using either of the above as some feedback from users would be nice.
Sorry if it seems like I’m hijacking the op’s thread but it seemed pointless to start another topic :slight_smile:

Slightly off topic, but still on the subject of Cubase Pro 10, Panorama P6 and USB keyboards:

Are any of you using the Nektar Panorama P6 with Cubase Pro 10?
Are there any compatibility issues, or am I safe to upgrade to Cubase Pro 10?

Thanks,
trondo

I am following this thread, I liked both the nectar, Akai MPK and the Arturia, worried about mapping to Dorico. Anyone recommend a keyboard for Dorico mapping? Using an iMac. Thanks

I’ve just bought a Nektar lx49+ £114 ! , works a treat with CB11 pro, all functions working right out of the box .no need to map

Hi.
I upgraded my whole pc to the latest specs as well as the cubase from 8.5 to 10.5 since few months.
Got a new M Audio USB controller Code61.
I had bad freezes and crashes from cubase while recording in a really annoying way.
I read many forums and experiences a d my last finding is that cubase have problems with the keyboard aftertouch.
Is that true ? Any similar experiences?
When I get back to my roland Juno everything is normal again.
I want to shift to another one

I’d recommend grabbing a keyboard controller that meets your needs for keys and keeping your eyes out for a Mackie control 8 or something to control transport and jog etc. I’m very happy with the complete control s49. It’s a pleasure to play on and works well with Cubase
but the the keyboard back light is turned off and not able to find any solution how to turned it on. I believe my function button + F9 is supposed to toggle the keyboard backlight on and off. It’s not working though .
Updated: After some struggling finally got a fix hope it may also helpful for you too.