USB output sound device not working

Hello all,

I’m trying to connect my audio device to Dorico 3 but I’m having some problems to make it work.

I’m using Corsair headphones with both USB and minijack connections, and I’d like to use it with USB but it doesn’t emit any sound from Dorico 3 (everything else going normal). When I tried the mini-jack connection it worked without problem.

When I go to “Device Setup” (or whatever it is the translation) to change the device from there, I can only choose my laptop’s speakers when the USB is connected.

Is there any way to make it work with the USB connection?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, julesbadm. Are you on Windows or Mac?

Thank you!

I’m on Windows.

I’m not an expert on audio setup on Windows (it would probably be fair to say I’m not an expert on Mac either, though that’s by the by), but I believe you can only use an audio output that has an ASIO driver. I suspect your USB headphones don’t have an ASIO driver. However, if you are using the Generic Lower-Latency ASIO Device in Edit > Device Setup, in theory if you click ‘Device Control Panel’, your USB headphones should then appear as an output in the GLLAD dialog that appears: you may have to switch off the option at the top of the dialog about exclusive control of the audio interface to make more outputs appear.

If The Generic Low Latency driver doesn’t work, try installing ASIO4ALL from http://www.asio4all.org/.

Sometimes that finds devices that the Steinberg generic driver misses.

You need to select ASIO4ALL in Device Setup and then configure it to use your USB phones. (Actually, if you want to switch between audio devices, you can change the ASIO4ALL configuration from the icon in the WIndows system tray without going back to Device Setup in Dorico, but the bottom line is you do need to configure initially, so you might as well do it from the Dorico device setup dialog).

Don’t panic at the apparently large set of technical options in the ASIO4ALL configuration - the only thing you have to do is select the audio input and output devices, and Dorico doesn’t use the input anyway. If it “works” but you get clicks or audio dropouts, increase the buffer size till they go away (e.g. double the size and try again).

FWIW the Generic driver doesn’t find all the audio output options on my USB audio interface (and it doesn’t find the one that I want to use) but ASIO4ALL does find them all.

Ok! I’ll try!

Thank you!

I am having a similar problem with using USB speakers. I am on a Mac Pro running Mojave and I use a set of Harmon Kardon Soundstick USB speakers with my computer. I have no problem using them with every other application I use on my Mac. They will not play audio produced by Dorico 3.5. They show up in the device setup, but I cannot select a sample rate. The device control panel only gives the option to change the buffer size and to Set Device attenuation to 0 dB. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, bmcdannald. Can you do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file to a reply here so we can take a look and see what might be wrong?