"Use MIDI Timestamp?" in C6 ... WFT???

I thought when I started using C6, including the trial, I’d never have to see those words again.

And yet … there they are!

:smiling_imp:

Get a Mac…

Mods- Can we please return to seperate forums? One for obnoxious cultists and one for PC users?

Doubtful, and besides if getting a Mac negates the need to use something, then it is in effect a valid answer.

Valid answer?!?! Then let ME say “WTF”?! :unamused:

Sorry, I meant to say “valid response”.

How else do you think that Cubase is going to continue to generate it’s own human feel? :laughing:

I am completely astounded at the inability of Cubase to get MIDI timing accurate, after all these years and all these releases.

How many times have people like me said ‘please just fix the bugs, then worry about new functionality and cosmetic user-interface improvements’?

I don’t think I have EVER recorded a MIDI part with Cubase and not had to nudge a few events into time.

No, it’s not my poor timing, and I have used many different PCs and interfaces to know it’s a generic problem.

If Sonar manages to do it right, on the same PC/Interface, how come Steinberg can’t get it right?

Even my early 80’s Atari 1040 was better than this…

That’s why my friend still uses it…good midi timing.

Isn’t it ironic considering how far Cubase has evolved…

It has nothing to do with Cubase. It has to do with different clocks being used by soundcards that don’t count the same as the app/system/other hardware. This causes timing and jitter which are arch enemies of audio streaming, especially multi-track. Cubase was forced to add this feature as the hardware mfg.s wouldn’t change their end of the issue.

Presonus is a good example. Look up the latency and jitter issues with it’s MIDI timing. It’s one of, if not the worst.

Mashed mitt’s got it.
And the Atari did have the midi built in so full clock integration. Unless you used Midex maybe.
So midi timestamp can be your friend pulling the different clocks into line. (WFT !?)

I presume it’s not invisibly turned on permanently because it’s not that foolproof though.

Motu has sample accurate midi but only with their own software supposedly.

It is DEFINITELY my friend.

This is an issue with the other DAWs?

By clicking on help in the Devices–> Device Setup–> MIDI Port setup setup
Use System Timestamp for ‘Windows MIDI’ Inputs/‘Direct Music’ Inputs:
If timing problems with the recorded MIDI events occur with your operating system, try activating the “Use System Timestamp” options. All MIDI interfaces timestamp their data before supplying it to the application. The application uses these timestamps to position incoming MIDI events in the sequencer. There may be situations in which these timestamps are not in sync with the internal time information of the sequencer, so recorded MIDI events will not be positioned correctly (usually, they occur “too late”). When you activate this option, the sequencer ignores the MIDI timestamps provided by the interfaces (for Windows MIDI and Direct Music inputs, respectively) and generates new timestamps (using the actual system time) for all incoming MIDI data.

Knowledge Base Article:
PC Windows MIDI port configuration and troubleshooting

SoundOnSound article on MIDI Timing
Solving MIDI Timing Problems In Cubase:

“Use MIDI Timestamp?” in C6 … WFT???

Wiki on WFT???: :wink:

Gr,
JHP

What Steinberg needs to do is to release their own MIDI Interface (possibly 8 in, 8 out), with some sort of technology which will give super-accurate timing. One which would be supported for years to come across whatever new OS is released, and prove a really worthwhile investment for those who buy it at what would no doubt be a considerable cost.

Oh, hang on…

grrrrr… :open_mouth: :frowning:

I don’t suppose you’ve heard of Midex?

Forget Yamaha in this instance or Motu or anyone else.

Roland won the MIDI war with their FTP (fast transaction processing) chips in their cakewalk interfaces.

Can’t say much about their software though.

That’s exactly what I was getting at, Brains… :unamused:

This issue is driving me crazy.

MB: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
CPU: Intel i5 3570
RAM: 8Gb DDR3 667.3

WIN 7 Ultimate 64 bits - Cubase 5.1 Full
AUDIO: Steinberg MR816X
MIDI: Steinberg Midex 3

A simple 4/4 kick drum MIDI beat > MIDEX 3 > 9090 Drum > MR816X audio IN.
Each recording has been nudged back to match 25ms latency set on MR816X.

TEST #1:
Both “Direct music” / “Windows MIDI” timestamps reference selections don’t change the result.
Once recorded, some beats plays in advance, some delayed and each beat has its different timing.

TEST #2:
ATARI 1040 ST Cubase 2.0 as MIDI timecode master clock > MIDI USB interface > Cubase 5 playing the 4/4 beat described above.
Cubase 5 hooks up flawless.
Issue on recording is still the same.

TEST #3: (midex and external MIDI stuff bypas)s:
The beat described above > Groove agent > MR816X OUT 3 > MR816X IN 1
Issue on recording is still the same.

So must I:

• Buy a Word clock Master?
  • Buy a Mac?
  • Throw Cubase into rubbish?
  • Use ATARI only as sequencer and say goodbye to my eyesight on its monitor?
  • Throw everything into rubbish, stop making music and start a beer addiction career?

Thank you. :cry:

One side note:

The lowest buffer gives the lower error rate, but each note has its own timing.

Tried to connect the MIDEX3 to a 2.0 Usb port, the internal routing (midi track > Groove agent > MR816 Audio IN) gives better result in timing than before, although MIDEX 3 is bypassed in this process.

Nothing changes using Midi track > MIDEX OUT > Synth IN > MR816 Audio IN.

I’ve tried also to connect and old and cheap Edirol UM1-SX usb to midi, and the result is exactly the same ad MIDEX 3.

I’d like to spend my time making music instead of burn money on devices and headache pills.

Made a simple test with same setup on same PC using demo version of Ableton live 9.
Issue is till the same.