UserFriendly Request

I don’t use Dorico daily, but when I do so many simple tasks requires Googling around. Why is that clicking buttons on the working space isn’t enough and that instead so many key commands are necessary?
Frustation is an underestimate…
In my economy I payed a substantial amount for Dorico Pro 4 and I never expected this level of userunfriendliness.
Click a button (what ever one chooses to highlight) and then a working progress should proceed effortlessly, with oneself remaining in the creative realm.
In the end Dorico can produce a nice result, but it is way to looong to reach the end…

Which buttons aren’t working for you? Can you give an example of something that you’re trying to do, and having difficult with?

Key commands are one of the ways of achieving things, but they aren’t the only way. (They’re certainly the fastest, though.) You should be able to do everything with the panels and menu commands.

1 Like

I would use the Help link from within Dorico to search for explanations, since Google can lead one to out-of-date information.

I appreciate your reply and I am sure there is a fix for the most of things, but there is so many instances that require solutions. I will not address a certain topic, but rather that the intuitive flow is lacking. Focus must be on music making!

Without specifics, there is little one can do.

Yes, this is what I use, BUT do I have to it in the most simple tasks?

You’ll find that any professional, complex software – Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, InDesign, Sibelius, Finale – requires some amount of learning. You can’t expect to just look at the screen and discover every function.

Dorico is, at the very least, consistent: and you will find that once you learn how one thing works, lots of other things work in exactly the same way.

Again, I really think it would help you if you could provide one example of a workflow that you have difficulty with.

4 Likes

I use it whenever I need to, for simple tasks I have forgotten or for more complex things I haven’t tried yet.

I’m sure the Dorico Team is always seeking ways to make the user interface more transparent. Sometimes they have to wait on the developers of the underlying Qt framework to make these changes possible, but nothing is “intuitive” to all users from all sorts of backgrounds.

User interface simplicity… For one instance, to change tempo playback is NOT intuitive and there is a longer list of similar easy requirements. Understand, I do not want to go in details, but rather have a smooth experience.

Thank You for your input. Dorico 4 Pro is based on possibilities and less on workflow.

I change tempo by clicking on the tempo mark and changing the speed in Properties. To me that is straightforward, but of course your mileage may vary.

Tempo marks are created in the same way as most other notation items. Everything is under the Write menu: you don’t need to remember the key commands.
Screenshot

Or you can use the panel on the right-hand side.

You can change an existing mark in the Properties panel (again, similar to altering most notation items).

Screenshot

1 Like

Basline… The most simple task… One must not have to read a thick manual for this in 2024.

Not sure I understand. Was the first word supposed to be “baseline”?

I’d rather have a powerful, capable program even if it required some study and experience than something simpler and less powerful, but I realize that folks who use the program less frequently may experience some frustration if they forget what they used in former work with the program.

3 Likes

Mistyping, I meant baseline. If the bigger picture can’t be seen…
Skärmavbild 2024-01-21 kl. 13.15.12
User friendly? Why can’t you just click the tempo symbol and change it in an instance, but rather have to search, read, google it it…

A little too much defence here, instead of admitting progress. Your choice.

:slight_smile: Nice! But what are the icons for if you must use the meny with its many options.

This is really a temporary tempo override. It is not preserved if you close the project.

Tempo in Dorico is determined by marks in the score (as printed music has done for hundreds of years).

The quick way is using the popover shift-t (t is for tempo, or time, which is pretty intuitive!)

1 Like

Thank you Janus! Sorry, I don’t find it intuitive for playback, but I can always learn workarounds.

Because Dorico is notation software, not a DAW. Tempo is usually defined by notation symbols, and may change throughout a piece.

2 Likes