Using alternate clefs

I need to use French 18C clefs, such as these:

The question is how?

It is going to be the usual thing of taking over an existing clef music symbol or can I add to that list?

Then how to add it to the score?

Replace clefs that you don’t want to use in this project in the music symbols editor, then chose them either via the clefs panel or the popover.
Pretty straightforward.

You can’t add new? And you can’t give them their proper name?

It is possible to create a .doricolib file that adds more clefs. But presumably, you’re not going to be using both the ‘standard’ C and F clefs and the French ones in the same project…?

Actually, I am. It’s Bach (Goldberg Variations). He use both and my edition is pedantic about using original clefs. [I’ll be making a different edition for modern people who lack the skill to read all the clefs later.]

Well you won’t need the octave transposing clefs, though. Right?

No. That’s right. I can hijack them.

I have a doricolib file for these clefs, but apparently I can’t upload it here. If you DM me your email address, I’ll gladly send it over.

@dspreadbury, could doricolib files perchance be added to the whitelist?

If you zip them, you can upload them.

D’uh… Sorry, I’m not really awake yet.

notenlektorat - 11 SMuFL-included Historic Clefs, 18th Century.preloadable.zip (1.4 KB)
Here you go. This is part of a suite of all SMuFL-included clefs that are not part of Dorico’s factory allotment of clefs. It’s preliminary and I haven’t double-checked it before uploading. So let me know if there are any problems.

(The doricolib file has to be placed in the DefaultLibraryAdditions directory.)

3 Likes

Great! I’ll take a look.

I have Dorico 4.3.11. Where is this directory on Windows? I cannot see it.

macOS:
/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico #/DefaultLibraryAdditions
Windows:
\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Dorico #\DefaultLibraryAdditions

(with # standing for the relevant Dorico version)

I have no such directory. I do for the earlier versions of Dorico, not for version 4. Am I supposed to create it?

Yes, if it is not present, you can create it yourself. It should take effect the next time you start Dorico.

Really great. Works. Given that Dorico already has an Archaic Clefs section the panel, these clefs should be included there by default, since they exist in the font.

Well, for the full suite mentioned above, from each of the clef glyphs in SMuFL I have generated as many distinctive clefs as I found reasonable, and I ended up with over 100 clefs. You can see how this can quickly escalate into a collection drowned in clefs that you never ever need.

1 Like

Alexander, thank you very much for uploading your clef repository file.

1 Like