Using both Nuendo and Cubase?

Hi!

I can’t find this subject anywhere else so I post this here:

I recently purchased Nuendo + NEK because I need the postproduction features. Before, I worked in Cubase 7.5 but I migrated all projects to Nuendo successfully and think that I could resell Cubase.
However, I read that some other users work in both apps, so I wonder, are there obvious reasons to keep Cubase?

Thanks! Tom

only if you want a specific feature from a version update earlier than Nuendo gets it, as Cubase is ahead in the product number cycle. e.g. New features from Cubase 8 will show up soon in Nuendo 7 though (and better tested/bugfixed I suppose).

Not to sound like a complainer, but what you say is true, and unfortunate for Nuendo users.

To buy an app that is about 4 times the price and then also buy it’s “little” brother as well in order to get features that improve workflow around 6 months sooner is just weird.

Along with NEK, it’s such an odd approach to the Steinberg product line:

Step 1. Pay a fourfold premium for the most expensive DAW app going (Nuendo).

Step 2. Then pay a few hundred more to get the features already in the 1/4 price, lower level version (Cubase).

Step 3. Then go ahead and buy the lower priced version to get improvements far sooner than the expensive version. Keep in mind that, even after you’ve done this, thereby paying for and gaining the features in Nuendo NEK, you will still need to do Step 2 above. Otherwise, your projects will not be compatible between the apps.

Not how I would do it. Nuendo is great, but the logic (or lack thereof, IMO) of how it’s sold and developed are beyond me.

I started with Cubase and moved to Nuendo for the advanced features. I keep my Cubase up to date to test and get familiar with the new features before they are released in Nuendo.
I have not actually worked in Cubase for a few years, it is only a test application.
I mostly compose to picture with sound design and hardly ever do final broadcast mixes anymore. I don’t have NEK, with Cubase up to date, the synths show up in Nuendo, and I don’t need the scoring or drum editor.

Inertia. I’ve had Cubase for 17 years now and have always made music with it.
And with Nuendo I do audio post. I suppose I could use Nuendo+NEK for both, I’ve just haven’t bothered to look and see if that’s an option for me.
As for the new features being available earlier in Cubase - yeah, that’s weird, but honestly I really don’t care. Updates come when they come, and both programs have been doing solid, reliable work here for years.

Thanks for your I thoughts.
From my perspective, I thought it is strange that there’s no cross grade path from Cubase to Nuendo. But now I have bought Nuendo + Nek and think that I should resell Cubase to be able to buy other stuff.

Most of the times I upgraded Cubase versions around the time when the new Nuendo was released, i’m no early adopter anyway.
So the newer features aspect in Cubase is no issue for me.

The reason I asked is that I could imagine that the extra lisence could be handy when working on project with someone else or when you need to work on projects from other composers with the newer features.

This got me thinking about system link. I Could use the cubase License for an extra computer!
Although I think that there should be built in feature to run the same license on two machines in the same building, maby I keep the Cubase license a little longer to test a system linked setup.

Not to quibble overmuch (as I agree pretty much with what you say), but the most expensive like for like app would be Pro Tools and even then there are fewer features than Nuendo.

DG

Not for just PT software, using native hardware like Nuendo.

Not true… Protools (not Protools HDN or HDX) has such a limited feature set that it has to be compared to Cubase. And even then, Cubase has surround capabilities that Protools native doesn’t. To be on par (sort of) with Nuendo, you have to go to protools HD Native (with the pcie card) or the legacy CPTK option at a much higher price. And then, you’re limited to 256 tracks and 64 simultaneous input channels…

Great summary otherwise. I hate the NEK and leapfrogging going on. :wink:

You can’t buy the HD software, which is the only bit that can remotely be compared with Nuendo, without buying hardware (whether you want it or not)and last time I looked, the combo was more than Nuendo. Not only that, but as I have three copies of PT but only 1 Toolkit, I can’t even upgrade the other two copies, and have to buy PT again. Nuendo is much better value.

Edit: I see I was beaten to it…

DG

I stand corrected. Never been a PT guy…ever.

No Problem. TBH the Avid Website is very confusing, and they have chopped and changed so many times over the last few years that I’m surprised that anyone actually knows what is happening. The only reason I sort of have a clue is that I was going to upgrade two of my studios, and now am not…!

To be fair though, I didn’t upgrade to N6.5 either, as something stuck in my craw about having to pay to get a version that fixed bugs that were introduced in N6, from features that worked perfectly well in N4. Well one particularly stupid bug in particular, but I won’t bore you with that. :wink:

DG

A mechanical question on using both:

Will Nuendo 6+ open Cubase 8 projects?

Thanks,

Jason

Well, answered my own question. Nuendo 5.5 opens Cubase 8 projects. But I swear I tried this earlier and neither Nuendo 5.5 nor Cubase 7 would open Cubase 8 projects. Maybe something changed in Cubase 8.0.5?

Anyway, apologies for the unnecessary question.

Jason

FWIW, for remote recording I often use the version of Cubase AI that came bundled with my UR-22, mainly because I am using the soft-elicenser, and it means I can leave the dongle at home where it’s safe.

Don’t really care much about bleeding-edge or “leapfrog” issues, as I don’t update anything until everybody stops yelling here and I get a sense that all is ok, rev-wise. :mrgreen:

Chewy