Using Chord Track for Notation

Hi,

Is it possible to have the Chord Track read in existing MIDI data from a track and store the chords exactly as recorded? By exactly I mean the same notes, voicings, and register (no changes at all).

I’d like to use the Chord Track merely to document existing chord progressions rather than for creative purposes where it helps me build new progressions.

I can easily accomplish what I’m asking for with Scaler, however that plugin does not display the chords in a track sync’d to the rest of the song (which is what I want).

So I guess I’m looking for something akin to a lead sheet (w/o having to switch to the Notation Editor) that tells me what chord exixts in a particular measure. This would be very helpful for long and complex songs where I don’t remember all the chords.

The Chord Track seems ideal for this, but I can’t get it to record the chords I’ve created verbatim and then prevent subsequent changes to the notes, voicings and register.

Hi,

Unfortunately not really.

Cubase always transfers the chord (or cluster) to the Chord Symbol. Actually the function is even named Create Chord Symbols. So it doesn’t store the MIDI Notes, it stores the detected chord (as a symbol).

Hi Martin,

Thanks for replying…

I realize that using Create Chord Symbols will not work for my goal.

However I was hopeful that using something like Assign Pad from MIDI Input would work because that does record my chords verbatim. However there’s a problem with this method: when I drag these chords from the Chord Pad to the Chord Track they change.

Is there a way to move a chord from the Chord Pad to the Chord Track without it being changed?

I should mention that I’m aware of the Adaptive Voicing feature and have disabled it.

Cheers…

Hi,

Unfortunately there isn’t. The Chord Track is always working with the “symbols”. It doesn’t handle the Chords as the MIDI data, you enter.

Yes, the Chord Pads can store any cluster. Chord Pads are based on the real MIDI Notes.

1 Like

Okay, so the Chord Pads and Chord Track have different functions. I assumed they were two facets of the same feature. Good to know (though disappointing). :disappointed:

Thanks!