Using cubase 32bit with 64bit in parallel

Im lost here
I am currently running cubase 7.0 32-bit on a Windows operating system 64-bit

I have the physical disc for installation

What I want to do is use that disc to install the 64-bit version of cubase 7.0 on the same computer in order to have both of them running in parallel (not at the same)
And basically have two icons one for the 32-bit one for the 64 bit if that’s possible. So i can start using the 64 for projects moving forward

The reason for this is that I purchased a vst3 virtual instrument from tune track EZ drummer 3 and it only can be accessed in my daw via the 64-bit version.

I’ve tried installing it a couple of times but reach a dead end when it stops and then I can’t find the 64-bit icon to access. I use the search function and it doesnt come up anywhere on the pc.

Is there a tutorial or article with step-by-step directions on how to properly install cubase in parallel so I can access and use the virtual instrument?

Thank you in advance

Why would you look for a shortcut to Cubase 64bit when the installation fails to complete?

I don’t think there’s any good reason why you should keep both Cubase versions (both the 32bit and 64bit). Please try to uninstall the 32bit Cubase, then try to install Cubase 64bit.

Would’ve been helpful to have some details about how the installation failed…

I think executable files are in \Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase7 and \Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Cubase7, so go there and look for cubase.exe files and make shortcuts. IIRC I used to have both installed in a 64bit OS to be able to open old projects, they work with no problem as long as only 1 is used at a time. I think many people had done such in the past.
But if the installation is failed, that’s another problem.

The 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Cubase can co-exist on the same 64-bit system without interfering with one another (I used to do this, so I know, and it was a supported configuration at the time). If the OP can’t install the 64-bit version, the problem is that Cubase 7 is no longer supported by Steinberg, so any troubleshooting would have to be done without Steinberg’s help.

All I can say is that I used to have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed on Windows 7 64-bit and it worked without issue (of course, you can’t run both at the same time!). The reason was that, at that time, there were not 64-bit versions of a lot of plugins, and in some cases there still are not 64-bit versions of some (e.g. Embracer).

To the OP: we can’t help if you don’t give some detail (what does the “dead end when it stops” look like, at what stage did it stop, what if any error messages did you see, are there any events in the event log, what have you already tried in terms of troubleshooting etc.)?

I also have to ask about the wisdom of investing a lot of time trying to fix this, when at the end, at best, you would be running an unsupported version of Cubase on an unsupported version of Windows (which is a high security risk if it’s connected to the internet).

2 Likes