Using Cubase the first time today

Hi Everyone
Ok so I have Cubase Artist installed,today,install went ok :smiley:
checkout of the audio input etc,etc.Manged to record my voice,Sound is coming through my headphones.
My keyboard is responding to various Vstiā€™s :smiley:

I noticed the note editor keyboard actually matches my 49 key,Akai MPK249 which makes a nice change :smiley:
Firstly I might ask some dumb questions as we go along,but bear with me,ok,ha,ha

OK,So my first question is how can I make the whole Interface more appealing colour wise,or customization.Have to look through the manual.but though I would ask you nice people
At the minute its a dark grey colour and too much clutter,but I did find the circle of fifths selector thats really cool
Going to read through the manual and take this a step at a time :smiley:

Thanks for your time.

Good goingā€¦! Welcome and have fun Daveā€¦ :slight_smile:

About the interface - you need to look under File ā†’ Preferences ā†’ User Interface. Its not the most intuitive set of tools; in essence, what I did was to click through the first item and its set of Colour Schemes, see if thereā€™s a good starting point I liked (those horrible ā€˜boxesā€™ donā€™t give any real clue as to whatā€™s actually going to happen - just have to ā€˜trial and errorā€™). Then, I clicked the second item ā€˜Custom Coloursā€™ to fine tune various elements. Though in typical SB fashion, watch out - this whole interface/set of controls means you will quickly find yourself chasing your tail, trying to get what you wantā€¦!

As to screen ā€˜clutterā€™, you do have quite a bit of control over what/how many things are displayed, as you desire (things such as toolbars/buttons, Transport items, Track Header controls, Left/Right/Lower zones). I think this is all true of even the Cubase Artist edition.

Online manual is generally quite helpful; but like any new environment, its actually knowing what ā€˜termsā€™ you need to type in the search box, to find the info you need, that can be frustratingā€¦ :wink:

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob! :smiley:
Thanks a lot, I managed to find some info about changing colours.I got Cubase set as a nice green colour.I saw that the grid lines change with the colour scheme which is cool.And saved the colour :smiley:
I wonā€™t change anything else.But was surprised to see the nice :smiley: collections of brownish colours to begin with (almost like my local decorator centre store ,ha,ha :laughing:

Glad to hear things went well with the install.

When I first started with Cubase Iā€™d separate ā€œlearning sessionsā€ from ā€œcreative sessions.ā€ However, sometimes a session starts out as ā€œlearningā€ but it would end up be more ā€œcreative.ā€ Other times it works the other way. This is still my process. I also now have ā€œassignmentā€ sessions when Iā€™m working on projects for others.

Good luck with it and let it take time it takes. :slight_smile:

Hi Stephen57
Thank you,very good advice :smiley: .
Although I have some experience in other Daws,and one I am currently using,which I shall not mention,ha,ha :smiley:
But found Cubase to gel with me
Really enjoying the learning/discovering process!I will be looking through the Groove3 Cubase tutorials, as well as spending time (as I have been doing)getting used to the layouts etc
Really nice surprises I have discovered such as the note editor keyboard actually matches my one,which is great! :smiley:

The circle of fifths is cool as is the chord pad editor(wish I had learnt more theory and keyboard after I left school),many years ago,oh well
I have a couple of odd things going on,but have posted onto this forum ,see if anyone can help or advise.

Really appreciate the help and advice

Youā€™re very welcome. I started with Voyettra Seq+ and then moved to Cakewalk, which itself became Sonar. After looking at the available DAWs around, I decided on Cubase and Iā€™m very glad I did. You will find your past DAW experience will leverage learning Cubase. Enjoy it and remember to get some sleep. LOL, my first Cubase ā€œsessionā€ lasted, literally 24 hours. Donā€™t do that. :slight_smile:

Ha,ha OMG! :open_mouth: 24hrs thats on par with a deep session with Omnisphere2!!. :laughing:
No I wonā€™t do that,in fact I am about to dive into bed,as I got work in the morning,here in the UK
But as I work part time,I will be limiting myself to say 2hrs with Cubase,or a bit less,until I get a proper feel,for what Cubase has to offer.
Then as I get more settled and understand how things work,I will be starting to make actual tracks,(but slowly of course) :mrgreen:
Cheers