Using Cubase with a live band for guitars amps/effects, synths, vocal effects, etc

No, they cannot. At least with Android this is very limited. No third party instruments at all.

It might be a bit better with iOS.

If you want to do this better bounce everything to audio and create stems.

So how will I run Amplitube or any synth VSTS live with Cubasis? I think Amplitube has a standalone app for iOS and Android, but what about synth VSTs? Does Halicon Sonic SE work on Cubasis?

Get Cantabile… (Or Mainstage on Mac)

It will do everything you need.

P

1 Like

Yes, exactly

I don’t think you can. I have Cubasis on android phone and it’s a great app to capture ideas on the go and then further develop them in Cubase. But for live use like you intend to do - I don’t think it would work. I can’t speak for the iOS version but on android it’s quite limited in this regard.

You can post this question in Cubasis forum. Usually @LSlowak answers most of the Cubasis related questions.

1 Like

Hi @nksoloproject,

So how will I run Amplitube or any synth VSTS live with Cubasis?

@misohoza
You can post this question in Cubasis forum. Usually @LSlowak answers most of the Cubasis related questions.

Cubasis on iOS fully supports Audio Unit, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus which allows to use 3rd party instruments and/or effects plus-ins within the app.

You might check out our Getting started with Cubasis tutorial to learn more about this and the overall Cubasis workflow.

On Android, there are no comparable options available to use 3rd party apps within Cubasis unfortunately.

Please feel free to visit our dedicated Cubasis forum to further discuss your app related topics.

Stay well,
Lars

1 Like

I’d like to weigh in here as this is a topic I know a little bit about. I’ve been using Cubase to run the backing tracks for my live webcast performances for 15 years. The two points I’ve picked up in order to keep things as reliable as possible are:
1] Set the audio buffer on your audio interface fairly high. I use a Behringer X18 with the buffer set at 1024 samples for live work and at 128 samples for studio work.
2] Switch off ASIO guard if, as I do, you intend to record all your live performances.

High latency rules out using the computer that runs your Cubase backing parts to also run your VST plugin FX and instruments live even if it has the CPU power to do so. You could, however , use one computer to run your backing tracks and a second computer set to a lower latency to run your plugins / FX / instruments. This also reduces the likelihood of total disaster if and when you have a crash…

Crashes will happen. Learn to deal with it quickly and without panicking or losing your cool. Have a few jokes and quick patter about it to keep your audience on board while you deal with it.

The most common crash I’ve encountered over the years is the ‘dropout detected’ variety where Cubase stops rolling and presents you with a dialogue box to click. All is not lost. You can either click on it and continue or roll back and take it from the start depending on what you feel works best for you.

I’m not sure if my experience is totally relevant here but I’m always happy to share what little I’ve learned over the years.

1 Like

I had a look at the Behringer X18 - it looks an interesting piece of gear especially as it’s designed for tablets. I was also wondering how you manage to use a buffer size of 1024 samples - don’t you get more latency when you increase the buffer size? I’m not sure whether that would work with a guitar amp VST or while singing, for example, as surely there would be too much lag between hitting the strings and hearing the sound? I dunno, what is an acceptable buffer size for playing live?

Hi! Sorry for taking so long to reply. I don’t use any VST instruments or FX other than what’s needed for my backing tracks as I use hardware instruments and FX [Roland Fantom X8, Roland Jupiter 6 and Boss GT-10]. So latency isn’t a problem for me from that PoV. What I have found is that lower latency increased the likelihood of a ‘dropout detected’ crash during my live performances so I tend to set it fairly high just to be on the safe side. I suppose I could get away with 512 or 256 samples but I’d rather stick with what works reliably for me.

Obviously every performer has a different sort of setup and would need to balance things up differently. When I’m at home in my studio writing & recording I set the latency at 128 samples because the Native Instruments stuff that I use tends to get crackly at anything less than that.

1 Like

In that situation there is no reason not to set the buffer as big as you can.

If you are only using the VSTi’s to playback existing Tracks, why not render them and play them as audio? You wouldn’t even need Cubase at the gig for that.

You’re not the first person to suggest that to me, Raino. There’s a few reasons why I stick to using Cubase rather than pre-mixed backing tracks on a CD/DVD or from a media player [iPod, phone, whatever]:

1] I record what I play in every live performance.
2] I use the MIDI track to send out patch change commands to my synths & FX. I’m a bit lazy like that.
3] I use Groove Agent SE, or whatever it’s called now, to generate the drum parts live. This allows me to change the drum sounds without having to render a new backing track.
4] I can add/remove and rebalance sections of the backing tracks without having to remaster a complete backing track every time.
5] I can use the same backing tracks for webcasts and live gigging with only having to do minor tweaks in the XR-18 mixer [I use an X-18 in my home studio and an XR-18 for gigging].

Obviously, this wouldn’t work for everyone but it works for me.